Go to the Main Business Forum page

Need USP help, please. [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need USP help, please.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Unregistered
March 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
Hi,

I understand the concept of USP. I can immediately recognize when other businesses have identified and are promoting/leveraging theirs. I desperately want to identify mine but I think I just can't see the forest for the trees as they say.

I have operated a commercial construction company for 20 years. I am adept at handling literally any type of construction, renovation, or repair work that can come up. I have all of my own tools, trucks, equipment and help. I do not subcontract. I am a genberal contractor in that I do it all... but I do it all completely in house. My specialty is commercial and retail construction - store spaces, offices, shopping centers, etc. Our recent projects have been... BIG dry cleaners (lots of permit issues), auto parts chain stores (we did it all), fencing around an apartment complex, automatic entrance doors for an office building, large roof mounted sun deck for a commercial building, small building addition, a concrete walkway, painting, drywall, various repairs, etc.

I also have the ability to provide project design, project permit plans, and permitting and inspection services for the work we normally do. Truly, all in house.

I also design, manufacture, install and repair signs for commercial businesses and properties under the same business name. We make signs of all types.. lighted electric, neon, carved and gold leaf gilded wooden signs, plastic signs, vinyl graphics for storefront lettering, vehicle lettering, etc. We provide the same, design, drawing, and permit service for the signs. We have all our own solvent printers, vinyl cutters, metal equipment, CNC routers, plastic equipment, service trucks, and welders. I wear a lot of hats but it's true, this is all in house.

The CNC router purchased for use in the sign manufacturing has made us more profitable in the cabinets that we make for the retail chains also as it does the job of 3 men easily. So we have also been selling cabinetry and counters specially designed for niches that we have worked for and know about.. dry cleaners, auto parts chains, hair salons, etc.

Next up... I am able to provide most of my services to a large part of the east coast. We serve DC, Md, Va, WV, De, NY, NJ, Oh, NC, and Pa. from our Pa. property. And I recently added a office in Orlando, Fl. which will serve most of Fl. and Ga. My help is OK with traveling.

I have actually told clients in the past that we are not the cheapest source for the services we provide. I've never made any point to be competing with a guy and pickup truck and tool belt. It's just not an apples to apples comparison. I think now about how stupid that kind of was and how wrong it actually is. I honestly know that my current clients hire me because I actually am the cheapest source they could find anywhere that is capable of providing all of what I provide. To get the same offerings from a single source, by making one phone call... 717-328-3300, you would certainly need to hire a much larger company than mine. So, I guess I am the cheapest choice. I am not real excited about that but am willing to push back my reservations about competing on price for whats in my best interest.

So, given what I have layed out here - does anyone have an idea of some short, quick-conveying statement or tag line that will put forth my USP to the world?

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page