Go to the Main Business Forum page

Gordon or anyone - what to do when you've got a "want" but the product.... [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gordon or anyone - what to do when you've got a "want" but the product....

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

GordonJ
March 26, 2007, 03:55 PM
Kelly,

First thing is to find out about the PROTECTION surrounding this product...what trademarks, patents, copyrights etc.

You know who manufactured it, was it discontinued? Perhaps the molding is just sitting around collecting dust?

How was it originally sold? How did you come into possession of this?

Retail? Direct?

OK, you start with a bunch of questions, then head to library and search Thomas Register, if you've (and I'm speaking generally here) never done this, have the librarian show you how it works...they LOVE to help people.

Is the MFG still in business? What happened to it?

Why are the people at eBay bidding on it? Is it a must have? And why isn't there any direct competition? (Quality? Niche specific?).

Why not do yours at an outrageous reserve...to see how the thing will go? And who knows, if it is that wanted, maybe you'll cash in and locate more.

Who would most likely have one of these gizmos in your neck of the woods? How would you find them?

IF they are still being manufactured, then you have to go to the source...perhaps a licensed agreement, or a "distributorship" type thing, as a wagon jobber. Sounds like they aren't made anymore...could they be manufactured onesy twosies at a small business as filler biz?

If it is patent protected, search for all similar type of patents so you get to know the product up, down and sideways.

HOW can it be improved?

Well, Kelly, I'm afraid questions is the START...then you have to figure out how involved you want to be...determined, I hope, by the size of the market.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

PS. I'm always available to give you a private email too. gjabiz@yahoo.com

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page