Go to the Main Business Forum page

Okay.. Need a sounding board. [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Okay.. Need a sounding board.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

ImpactYourArea.com
May 1, 2007, 10:34 PM
Greetings Pete,

I live in Hardee County, Florida. Total population is less than 25,000. We have 1 newspaper. Same thing here. It comes out once a week, on Wednesday, after 4 pm. No online presence offered.

I've talked with the local paper owner about putting up an online paper, because news is always happening.

His response to me was quite amazing. "If people want daily news, they can buy the Times at any convenience store or watch the evening news".

He also believes that not many people in my county, because it is 90% agriculture, have time to go online and look up local news when all they have to do is watch television.

Now I'm not totally convinced he's right, but his comments do leave room to make one think.

If a county only has 1 or 2 newspapers, that only release news once a week, then what's that say about readership.

Is the demographics there? Do you have hard evidence that an online presence is needed? Do the locals really long for online news, at the local level?

I bring this to your attention, because I've gone through many of the startup websites in my county and unfortunately, no interest. Many sites still sitting dormant.

You are going need a good hook to reel in the readers.

Good luck
Woody Quiñones
The Promotional Guy (http://www.ThePromotionalGuy.com)

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page