The Impact of Globalization [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Impact of Globalization

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

MichaelRoss
May 9, 2007, 02:57 AM
Chuck,

Thanks for asking.

Contrary to the repeated-without-thought "get a degree" stuff, I would advise Against such an action - unless you specifically want to be a Doctor or something like that.

It would be better (less costly and provide more Options) to avoid Uni and get a job. To even get Tickets - forklift driver, scaffolder, rigger, dogman, crane driver, excavator operator, front end loader, backhoe, bobcat, truck license. These can be obtained Quicker than a degree and for Much less money. While the Jobs you can do with such Tickets often Pay More than jobs requiring a degree. And with such a variety of Tickets you have Tremendous Options for employment, while a degree limits you to the area of study.

E.g. I know a Dogman. He gets paid $27 an hour - $56k a year. I know other Laborers who make $75k+ a year. Another guy I know... his wife with a degree gets $40k per year.

Besides that... the sooner you are making money the sooner you will have money to invest. And the less Student Debt you will have.

The world is already full of people with degrees working behind the Make Up counter or Serving Drinks because they couldn't get anything with their degree, without encouraging more of it.

Funny. Last week I was speaking to a Solid Plasterer - renderer. He has 2 degrees. Couldn't get a job with 1 degree so got the additional one to make him more valuable. Still couldn't land a job so got a job as a Solid Plaster Laborer (no degree or quals needed). Now he owns his own business and makes $2k - $3k a week.

Of my Group at Uni, four of us left after one year. All of us who left now make top 12% of incomes in the country and at least 50% more per year than the highest paid of those who stayed.

The world is Full of Super Successful people who had little schooling - such as Ford, et al.

With Job Security a myth, that should Also be told to those students. That the Truth is, students will likely be changing jobs 3 or 4 times a year, yearly or every few years. Seems pointless to spend all that time and money to get a degree which won't give you all the things you thought it would, and better to invest your time and money in other areas.

Why stay in school in deed? I cannot think of a valid reason other than if you want to be a Doctor or something similar.

Michael Ross

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page