Go to the Main Business Forum page

WANTED: Your Participation - The info in this post could make you money [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Your Participation - The info in this post could make you money

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

MichaelRoss
May 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
Forum "Friends"

Thanks for checking out this Entry.

Please take your time and see your Payout further on. YOu may get a Brain Explosion.

It is said, where there is little to lose by trying and Much to gain, then by all means Try. And it is That Thought I'd like you to keep with you as you go over these words...

On this and other Boards, we often mention Interesting businesses and business ideas. However, a lot of those businesses and ideas are really Population Dependent - you need to live in a suitably large town/city for the idea to work, because it just won't work in Small Town USA. Not enough to Make A Living (MAL).

And we talk about Home Based businesses. But again, running a business from home could be applied to any Builder, Carpet Cleaner, Pest Guy and so on. Their businesses are Home Based (Based/Operated from the Home). And as such, they are also Population Dependent.

Even some of the quirky money making things (I recall one about taking photos of car crashes, or selling a Kit to drivers to keep in the glove compartment in case of crashes) require a Large Population Base to be profitable.

And so we then have the Make Money Online (MMO) idea. Where we can Stay Home and make our money. Enabling us to live just about anywhere, including that mythical hammock on the beach. But the MMO crowd is somewhat circular - make money online selling info on how to make money online... arrrrggghhhhh.

And I am wondering if the Wrong Question has been Asked all this time. Instead of the usual Forum Question of "how can I make money at home" or "how can I make money online" - which are somewhat general and vague - I am thinking a slightly Different Question needs to be asked. Such as...

"How can I generate an income (MAL) no matter Where I live?"

Or more specific...

"How can I make $X a year no matter Where I live?"

And even more specific...

"How can I make $X a year starting with less than $X no matter Where I live?"

See the difference from the Original "how can I make money at home" question. Answers to which include...

Home typing, home sewing, home dress making, drafting house plans from home, home office psychology service, home massage therapy room, home worm growing, home woodworking, and so on and so forth.

Answers to the "how can I make money online" Restrict you to selling downloadable information, software and site access - either stuff you create yourself or as an affiliate. And can take as much time, and in some cases more time, than a normal offline job. Something Ricky Higgs alluded after he appeared from nowhere, sold his MMO ebook and then subsequently disappeared as if he'd never been. Discovering for himself about the Myth of the Online Megabucks, that it was Easier to Work A Job for the same money (get up, go to work, come home is easier than learning all about webpage and search engine optimising, marketing via forums and email and so on).

And while everyone Can write a Hotsheet, many people don't want to or simply won't. Maybe they can't write well, or feel that way. Maybe they can't be bothered. Or have their own reasons. Other's can't be bothered to learn to write software Code, or spend money at rentacoder or elance to have something created that might not fly. Creating a site, or selling anything as an affiliate is, again, something they might not want to bother with - requires all that website registration, email list building and marketing and stuff.

I once asked, "If you were totally restricted to marketing only to people in LA, would you even bother starting a Direct Marketing/Mailorder business"? I asked because that is the reality of people in Australia, as far as population goes. And it's even worse for people in New Zealand with a population of around 3 million all up.

And again we find, all the Business Ideas are Population Dependent. So if you live in tiny Tonasket in Washington State with a population of 995, any "sew from home" or home-based pest business or whatever, just ain't gonna enable you to MAL. You can do that IF you live in a town/city with a large enough population to allow you to do that, but not from any small town.

And That's why I ReFormulated the question. So an Answer to it would help a City Dweller as well as a Small Town Dweller. The question again...

How can I generate an income (MAL) no matter Where I live?"

Or more specific...

"How can I make $X a year no matter Where I live?"

And even more specific...

"How can I make $X a year starting with less than $X no matter Where I live?

And I'd like to Throw Open the question to YOU. And ask to think Beyond my examples below - although Expanding or Adding To those examples is fine. And while it'd be great if you would share your answers to the question, if you don't want to, then don't. But at least try to answer the question For Yourself.

I feel The Usual Suspects will be the only ones to Chime in. But even if you are a lurker who has never posted before, jump in even as a Guest and offer a thought.

My preliminary and general anwers include...

Finding. Jim Straw's written The Bible on Finding, in case you want to know more. And the way I see Finding is this... if a person is Willing to Spend 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year (2000 hours in total) for $30k, then they should be willing to spend the same amount of time to Find something which will also make that, and certainly which will make a Lot more. Yet they won't. A 1% fee on a million dollar machinery deal is $10k. An amount which would take 4 months to make in a job but which people won't bother Finding if they haven't done so in a couple of weeks. Go figure.

Toll Positions. Similar to Finding but with Ongoing Residuals - something which Could be put into place with items you find. Toll Story...

Guy is in Germany on vacation. Sees a product not being sold Outside of Germany. ASKs if he can acquire the World Wide rights for $100,000. They accept. He puts down $1,000 deposit, with the rest to be paid in 6 months. Has a lawyer draw up Country Rights and sells 80 country rights for $25,000 a pop, making him a cool two million smack-a-roos, and pays the remaining $99k for his rights. But the deal is better still because he also gets five cents for each Unit sold. If they sell a million a year he makes an extra fifty grand - a grand a week, easy money.

Import/Export. Like Finding, Jim Straw has a work on this too, in case you want to know more. Though his work covers Exporting more than Importing, which is fine. And if exporting, like finding, you find an overseas buyer and put the deal together (to put it simply and without going onto those "how to" details). But here is a variation on how one guy did it...

He found a supplier of a product overseas. He got prices from them. Added on his Profit and then Physically went and Got Orders From Retailers. When the combined orders totalled a Shipping Container Full he brought it in, then distributed them to his customers. He made a Killing on each container - in fact doing this made him a multi-multi-millionaire in a couple of years - but it did require him to Travel. Travel to make the sale and travel to deliver the goods once they had arrived.

Another guy would ASK Permission to supply Samples and Prices for Blazer Badges. If agreed to his request the Client would Send him a Badge Sample (an image was fine) and he would send the sample to Several businesses in Pakistan and India and request they make Samples (so he could see their work quality) and provide prices. He'd take the Best Quality and Price, add his Profit and then Send the Sample to the client with a Bid. He knew nothing about making such badges and owned no badge making equipment.

Dropshipping. Jim Straw comes to the rescue again with his Mailorder report. Basic idea is... you sell a product, the customer sends you the money, you take your cut and send the rest to the supplier who ships to the customer. And while a viable idea, does require an ability to generate a list of some description.

A guy I know has a Friend who makes money doing this with Replacement Parts for Radio Controlled Cars. And he does it via a website. People visit his website catalog and buy a part. He takes his cut and sends the Order Request to his supplier in Hong Kong who ships it to the customer for him.

Ebay Chattling. Another guy I've spoken with runs ads in his state for car parts to a certain car. He arranges to meet those who respond to his WANTED ads and goes on Weekend Buying Trips. He then sells these car parts on Ebay and makes some Nice money.

There are Other Methods I have in mind but want to hear your thoughts and see what you have to say on it.

What Methods or Examples do you know of that allow a person to MAL regardless of where they live (assuming they do live in a Modern country and not in a tent in the middle of the Malaysian jungle)?

Michael Ross

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page