Go to the Main Business Forum page

Highest and Best Use of Domain Name? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Highest and Best Use of Domain Name?

Pages : [1] 2

hartrealm
June 10, 2007, 02:44 PM
I've secured the domain name "RentToOwnNetwork.com" recently and I'm trying to determine what might be best use. (I also have "LocalInvestorNetwork.com" but have yet to really do anything other than to throw up a little info on it just to have something there).

I am an investor, buying and selling a few houses a year. Some on my own, some with partners. I'd like to increase the number I buy considerably over the next several months.

Most of the houses I buy, I sell on a "rent to own" basis. It provides monthly cashflow and a nice payoff 12-24 months in the future when my renter buys. It's a pretty common practice among investors. I'm no pioneer here as many other investors do the same, selling on a "rent to own" or "lease purchase".

When I secured the name, I wasn't sure how I would use it. My first thought was to use it to find "rent to own" buyers in my local market whenever I had a property to fill. I could advertise it on a little 6'x12' trailer I own. Something like:

"Rent to Own
Homes Available Now!
Phone/Website"

I could take my kids to the mall on the weekend with trailer in tow for FREE advertising (just park in the outer areas of the lot where it would be seen ... and not get me in trouble with the mall security!).

Then it occured to me that I may be thinking too small.

I suppose I could create a national "network", accepting "rent to own" listings from investors all over the country ... but, I'd like to keep it simple ... and make money now, not months later after investing in infrastructure and such. I'm not much at this technical/computer stuff and I have far too much in "outgoing" expenses right now than I do "incoming" due to certain circumstances.

Anyway, any thoughts from the members of SOWPUB on how to best benefit from the domain would be appreciated.

Some of the things that have crossed my mind in the last 24 hours:
Allow local investors to post properties for mthly fee? Or a fee for every property I find a tenant for (for a % of the option money)?

Contact local real estate agents and management companies to list some of their properties on my site? (but I would have to have traffic of course, but how to generate other than my little trailer? ads in the local papers?)

Maybe I don't want to list properties, but instead, just have the potential "rent to own" prospects come to my site, fill out an application/information form to be alerted to "rent to own" opportunities in the areas they're interested in?

Highest and best use? Quickest way to monthly income?

Again, any suggestions appreciated!

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page