Go to the Main Business Forum page

Getting to Business Owners Cheaply [Archive] - Page 17 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Business Owners Cheaply

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

ThePromotionalGuy.com
July 14, 2007, 10:10 AM
Millard,

I have to echo Mike W. sentiments. I see small business owners everyday. It is very discouraging to listen to their excuses and why they believe they are right and you don't know what you are talking about. Their perception of marketing and advertising is that it is a necessary evil. They do not view it as a way to generate more business.

Also they don't like someone else telling them how to advertise. You can have all the proof in the world, that shows them how to effectively take their business to the next level, but they will always come back with, "That may work in other businesses, but our industry is different."

Most just want to rely on their location, yellow page ads, word-of-mouth, and putting a sign out in front of their business. If it's more than that then it's an expense. It's astonishing the amount of business owners that don't believe they should thank their customers for doing business with them. As though they are doing the consumer a favor by being in business.

What I see that you are wanting to do is great, but you are chasing rabbits if you go after small business owners. They will eat up your time, resources and expect you to consult them for FREE and then complain because your advise did not give them the instant success that they think they deserve.

Target larger businesses in your area if you can. They see the value of a consultant/workshops. If you want to go after the smaller business owner, I would recommend that you prequalify them first. That way you reduce wasted time on those just looking for something for FREE.

Here is a little secret, I will let you in on. In every industry there is always a small percentage of successful business owners. Target them. They are all about growing their business and expanding.

I hate it that we have to get picky even with workshops or informal meetings, but in today's economy you only want to help others that truly see a benefit to your expertise.

Woody Quiñones
The Promotional Guy

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page