Go to the Main Business Forum page

Is there a "fear" that's holding you back? What should you do about it? [Archive] - Page 21 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "fear" that's holding you back? What should you do about it?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23

Dien Rice
October 30, 2007, 05:19 PM
I just got the book "How To Get Rich" by Felix Dennis.
To continue from what I wrote earlier from Felix Dennis's book, he writes that the main fear holding people back is "fear of failure" - in particular the fear of what other people's reaction will be to failure! Nobody likes to be an object of ridicule or pity - but that's a risk you take when you start a business. You can't usually start it in "secret" - because you need to publicize it to get customers! So it's a very "public" endeavour!

Here's what else Felix Dennis writes regarding this (pp. 40-41)...

To sum up then, if you want to be rich, you must grow a carapace. A mental armour. Not so thick as to blind you to well constructed criticism and advice, especially from those you trust. Not so thick as to cut you off from your friends and family.

But thick enough to shrug off the inevitable sniggering and malicious mockery that will follow your inevitable failures, not to mention the poorly hidden envy that will accompany your eventual success. Few things in life are certain except death and being taxed. But sniggering and mockery prior to any attempt to better yourself financially, followed by envy later, or gloating during your initial failures - these are three certainties in life. It hurts. It's mindless. And it doesn't mean anything. But it will happen. Be prepared to shrug it off.

The Germans have a superb word for the (secret) pleasure humans obtain from the misfortunes of others. It is Schadenfreude - from schaden meaning 'harm' (from which we get the word 'shadow'), and freude meaning 'joy'. Those of you who are definitely going to be rich will recognise it often enough in the faces and body language of idiots around you. It is the price you must learn to pay for any attempt to raise yourself in the world. And I suspect that was as true ten thousand years ago as it is today.
I think you can generally categorize business and entrepreneurship books into two categories - those with general knowledge that apply to a wide range of businesses (like "Rich Dad Poor Dad"), and those with specific knowledge (like a book about how to make money in mail order, for example). I'd say Felix Dennis's book is one of the best, if not the best, general business book I've read (well, half-read since I'm still only halfway through it). It's well worth reading it. :)

Cheers,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page