Go to the Main Business Forum page

I discovered "How To STOP Refunds"! [Archive] - Page 15 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I discovered "How To STOP Refunds"!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]

Unregistered
November 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
I have read about that on this forum, that was a very clever idea, on how to get a face to face meeting with W. Clement Stone..Some one on here should write up a report on very clever prospecting techniques, and sell the report, Thats something that I would be willing to buy.

Reporting from the after T'Day "Recovery Ward";

Back in my "former" life....when I was starting up my burglar alarm business, I had one thing going for me;
I was in a VERY AFFLUENT Niche Market. I lived in an area (Northern Suburbs of Chgo) amongst not only millionaires but zillionaires...and Captains of Industry.

I had a "product" the rich WANTED (a way for them to keep thieves away from their "stuff")....and...money was NO problem.

The MAIN problem was...getting in to see them in person, so I could SELL them my product.

That was in the days when security wasn't as tight as it is now. One way I "prospected" my "niche of zillionaires" was to go to their homes on Saturday morning....just drive up the long land to their home...knock on the door...tell whoever answers the door that I'd like to give Mr_____ an estimate on a security system for his home.

This is how I sold;
"Wm Wrigley III" in his Lake Geneva, WI home. Drove up the lane...saw a guy wearing a Cashmere jacket with leather elbow patches, riding a mower and 2 golden labs running along....I just KNEW this was the man himself. Stopped my car....walked over to him and asked if I could give him an estimate on a security system. He said he'd "been thinking about doing that". He lead me into his study in his mansion. Had the maid bring me a cup of coffee and I proceeded to give him a "pitch" as to who I was, why he needed a security system and why he should buy it from ME (I had big gonads in those days)

Then went next door to the owner and founder of "Murine Eye Drops". Sold him. In fact, I sold a number of zillionaires living in their "summer homes" that summer.

Sold Charles Walgreen and his son "Corky" Walgreen.

Also, another Sat....I drove onto the estate of Robert Galvin, owner of Motorola. Same thing. Caught him on his riding mower with his 3 dogs. (These guys enjoyed mowing their grass with their riding mowers)

Others were; Jerry Wexler (he built the Outer Drive East, one of the first skyscraper condo buildings on the Lake Michigan lakeshore in downtown Chgo)
George Swift (Swift & Co)
Mrs Armour (Armour Packaging)
Charles Percy (Illinois Senator)
General Charles Hafner
Harold Florsheim (Florsheim Shoes)
John Foreman (Hart, Shaffner & Marx clothiers)
John Swearingen (CEO of Standard Oil)
Robert (can't remember his last name) (Owner of Quaker Oats)
Elliot (can't remember last name) Owner of Lakeside Press, the company that printed most of the phone books in this country.

Got these folks by calling their homes...telling receptionists that, "Their Friend" (Name of my customer) asked me to call for an appointment to give Mr___ an estimate on a security system." This usually got me in.

I learned early that I needed a lot of "Centers-Of-Influence".

By "hanging around this crowd" I learned "inside info" that helped me "get in the door" to see them.

For ex; I heard that a certain "bigwig" had tried to get tickets to a play that was coming to the Schubert (THE place for plays in Chgo in those days) but couldn't because it was sold out. It so happened that I had installed a system in the home of the owner of the Schubert. I called him on his private number and told him I'd install a "motion detector" in his Guest House for 4 Tickets to the Play. He agreed. (There are ALWAYS extra tickets to ANY event) I then called the office of the "Big Wig" and told the receptionist I had 4 tickets to the Play I'd trade for a meeting, at the bigwigs home.
10 minutes later she called back and asked me if Sunday afternoon would fit MY schedule.

I used a number of "ploys" to get IN to see bigwigs. Can't remember all of them just now.

Also...when I was living in the mountains of Colorado...I happened to be in a "Fancy Bar" in Beaver Creek (near Vail) at around 3pm....

.....(If you want to find out WHAT is happening in any town...go to the fanciest Bar around 3 in the afternoon. This is when many biz owners, bigwigs and executives take a break from the day, with a few toddies before going home. I got MANY alarm customers by hanging around the "Wrigley Bar" in the Wrigley Bldg in Chgo...between 3 & 5pm)

Anyway...here I was in this fancy bar when I hear a commotion behind me. Some guys in black suits with little lapel pins were coming in and asking people sitting, if they'd move to another table. I asked the TarBender what was happening. He said, ex-President Gerald Ford was coming in. He was building a home up the mountain and he usually stopped in every few days.

Then...in he walked, Ex-Pres Ford. Sat down at a table and ordered a toddy. He was with 3 "local movers and shakers". I got a "flash". A friend of mine owned a brick-laying company. I didn't have any of my business cards with me so I picked up a coaster with the name of the place on it...flipped it over and wrote my buddies name and phone down along with the words; "Best Brick Layer in the Valley"!

I went over to one of the Secret Service guys...handed him the coaster and asked if he'd give it to Mr Ford, since he was building his new home. The guy got up, walked over to Mr Ford and handed him the coaster and pointed to me. Mr Ford looked over at me....I waved...and he waved back and said, "Thanks" and stuck the coaster in his pocket.

I forgot about the encounter and a few days later my brick-layer buddy called me and said he had been asked to bid on the brick fence around Mr Ford's home. Well...my friend GOT THE JOB and all from a Coaster in a Bar.

I've got more BUT...time to go for breakfast.

Have a great day.

Don Alm....reporting from the after T'Day "recovery ward"

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page