Go to the Main Business Forum page

Making Money With Domain Names [Archive] - Page 18 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Making Money With Domain Names

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]

Unregistered
December 3, 2007, 12:21 AM
Hi Richard,
A couple of months ago I was pulling my hair out as I read through the fine print terms and conditions of several RSS proivders. I couldn't figure out how almost all of the major RSS providers had this "non-commercial use" clause, yet news seemed so readily available on thousands of websites. What I learned, after speaking with the folks at the Associated Press was that there is a law called something like the Interned Fair Use Act (I don't remember if that's the exact name of the law). Basically what the law says is that it is NOT considered an infringement of copyright to provide a headline that links to a news provider's website. What is prohibited would be if you copied the actual articles onto your commercial website. The RSS feeds, therefore can be added to your site, as long as when the link is clicked it directs the person to the source's website and not to a page on your site where you've republished the article. This law is what allows sites like Yahoo and Google to exist and have millions of other website's content on their search engine without these millions of websites being allowed to sue Yahoo or Google for copywright infringement, since Google and Yahoo are only providing the links with a brief description of the content. These same laws allow the little guys to do the same and have RSS feeds without infringing on any content provider's copywrights. Of course, most content providers benefit from other sites having links that send people to their website and to articles on their website, so I couldn't imagine this ever becoming a problem for you if you were to put RSS feeds on your site, even if the folks at the Associated Press misinformed me - I'm 99.9% certain that what they told me is 100% correct :o)
Hope this helps,
Joe

Ankesh,

What I have in mind is a unique newsfeed angle that would cause the hottest domain-name buying prospects to bookmark that site and come back again & again.

Might work. Might not. It's a test-worthy idea.

So, I'm still looking for a free RSS keyword-based newsfeed that's OK for commercial websites, if anyone knows of any.

Thanks

Richard Dennis

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page