Go to the Main Business Forum page

3 Successful Business Models I've Seen Lately [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3 Successful Business Models I've Seen Lately

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Unregistered
May 24, 2008, 12:25 AM
Need a new desk and can't find anything I like in all the usual places. And reluctantly succumb to having a peek in Hell For Guys... IKEA!!! (Key dramatic music)

It was a Saturday and the place was a hive of shoppers. I was window shopping - needed measurements, was taking photos with my digital camera for reference. And noticed EVERYONE had something in their hands. Even if it was a dustpan w/ brush. (Oh, and again... women. Loads of women. Some with guys, some by themselves and some with friends. So single guys... if you want to see woman... go to Ikea. I know it's Man Hell all that Shopping and Looking stuff. {{shudder}})

The eating area In Ikea was packed to the max. And when you walk through the store they don't have just isles you walk up and down. Oh no. That'd be too user friendly. They have a Path that Winds through the different departments like a snake slithering away through the undergrowth.

Unless you know the Hidden Shortcuts through the store, to get to what you want requires you to walk past Everything. Yep, the only way to the check out once you enter is to weave your way through Every department (show rooms with little grab items, down to the Market Hall with only grab items).

Then at the check out... chocolate. Ikea chocolate. And outside the checkout... more Ikea Food and a Soft Server Vending Machine, with people lined up 20 deep to help themselves.

I was assured that during the week it is Much quieter. And specially later in the day in the early evening - 5pm to 7pm. But weekends are just crazy. And no-ones goes to Ikea to spend $20. Some people are spending Thousands at a pop.

Looking at Where the stuff is made I see... Denmark, France, Spain, China, Thailand and so on. Which tells me... Ikea designs it then obtains Quotes to make it from different manufacturers. Leverage.

Michael Ross

Yes, Michael, IKEA seems to have it down.

My question is how can the Regular Joe, (or Jason) turn a buck from their system????

It is no doubt that IKEA has products people want.
The 2 problems that I believe the regular Joe can profit from are:
1) Location (2 hours away)
2) some assembly required.

my suggestion for a profitable solution to these "problems".
You don't even need IKEAs approval to do this!

Run local classified ads that ask people to goto the IKEA site,
send their order to YOUR FROM.
You tack on a delivery and assembly charge and this is your biz.
A while back Gordon touched on assembling products for profit.
This is the same concept with the exception that you can also get paid to go pick the stuff up.

College kids love IKEA stuff, a mailing list of students could prove very profitable this August!!!!

Anyway, a million ways to go with this, my point is....
IKEA has it figured out...., use them and the name to make you a small fortune.
Best Wishes,
Jason

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page