Go to the Main Business Forum page

Pay what you want restaurant [Archive] - Page 6 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pay what you want restaurant

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Adman
July 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
Over the last 30 yrs I've seen variations of this concept as a "Marketing Tool" HOWEVER....the restaurants or other "sellers" I've seen, who have have tried it....gave it up as a "bad idea".

The businesses that tried this were HOPING (greedily) that (MANY) of their customers, clients or even patients...would pay MORE than they should because they (the diners or customers or clients, etc),,,were MORE THAN HAPPY TO DO SO!

HOWEVER!....These business owners always forget to take into consideration ONE THING;

"THE SELFISHNESS OF CONSUMERS...NOWADAYS!"

The overall thinking, from ANYONE in the so-called, "Free-World"...nowadays (July 2008) is...."EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF! Who gives a poop about others, I live for ME, MYSELF and I!"

If you don't think this is true...go into any Dept Store parking lot and see how many shopping carts have been left for others to stumble over...look at the amount of garbage that is on the side of the highway you are traveling on.

The Truth is....people in the good ole USofA (and all other countries) have ONE THOUGHT on their mind!

"ME!, MYSELF! and I!"

People everywhere are NOT thinking about anyone other than themselves!

Now...to continue along with the premise of your initial comment;
Regarding "Consumers or Customers or Clients or Patients" given the CHOICE of WHAT to pay for a service or product...it will NOT work to the benefit of the business or professional or whomever, offering it!

HOWEVER....I have noticed, in my LOOOONG career as a salesman and marketer of products and services....a few restaurants and other businesses, especially restaurants....that offer a FLAT FEE!

The first time I witnessed a "Flat Fee" restaurant was in Ft Lauderdale, FL during my college days during Spring Break back in the late 60's .

I was told by many people that I HAD to go to "X" restaurant. So, me and my buddies went one night and found a HUGE LINE...stretching anout 1 city block to this restaurant.

We got in line and after getting info from others in our line that THIS PLACE had...
ONE choice of Vodka (the best)
ONE choice of...whatever you wanted to drink and
THREE choices of Dinner...a steak, fish or chicken entre

ALL for ONE PRICE!

I wish I could remember the name of the place. They were still operating back in 1985 when I last ate their...but I can't remember the Name.

Anyway..."giving your customers the CHOICE of what to pay" has never worked BUT...offering One Price for "excellent products" has always worked.

Thanks for letting me expound...

Don Alm
http://www.midasreports.com/stoprefundscold
A Way to cut refunds to.

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page

SOWPub Small Business Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The SOWPub Small Business Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.sowpub.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.sowpub.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.