Go to the Main Business Forum page

bland selling sites [Archive] - Page 10 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bland selling sites

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

DominumBelli
July 16, 2008, 09:05 PM
Ta for those, Dien

The most valuable message that jumped out from those pages was "Make the potential customer comfortable" . Throw them off with too much stuff splashed around the page, distracting their eyes from your message, and you've lost them

If you look back on google, when it first started, it provided what people wanted, a clean page with only the search box, and nothing else. At the time, astalavista, yahoo, etc had craploads of adverts, news.... their search pages were chaos, as they were trying to monotise their search engine traffic at the time. And look at google now :)

Basicly, just follow the KISS principle: keep it simple, stupid. Function over form.

In saying that, I firmly believe that a well designed, clean, attractive page *will* sell better than a whole bunch of text thrown on the screen in huge blocks. Obviously there are many sites that are selling very well using poor design, but how much better could they do with a basic makeover?

I *hate* having to "work" to get the information I'm after. I'll persist reading through masses of text, but my mood hits the floor pretty quickly. How many sales have been lost because people got tired of trying to absorb the information on a web page?

Back to the comfortable idea. Many people are somewhat afraid of the net. There is a need to build up a certain "trust" with these people. One thing almost everyone is familiar with is TV. At the moment, video presentations on these websites seems to be vastly underutilized, and would seem to be the simplest way to reach out to a non-tech savvy audience.

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page

SOWPub Small Business Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The SOWPub Small Business Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.sowpub.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.sowpub.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.