Go to the Main Business Forum page

I go through this horse manure 3x per year -- any suggestions?... [Archive] - Page 17 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I go through this horse manure 3x per year -- any suggestions?...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23

MichaelRoss
October 10, 2008, 05:52 PM
TW,

Thanks for asking some more.

What do I think?

I wouldn't get to the end of this call. I would've hung up - and - made a mental note to NOT use your services again.

The problem is... you are trying to get them to give a flying farangi about you and your need to have closure of some kind. And that Ain't gonna happen in a month of Sundays. And you'll go crazy trying to make it happen - crazy like the photographer who tried to get a closeup of the horizon.

People care about themselves - not you and your wants. They are unreliable to others. They do not do/mean what they say nor say what they mean. They tell lies (ever sold a car... I'll come around, and what happens?). They have no respect for other people's property (ever lent a tool? got any dings from shopping carts and a note was left?). They are oblivious to what is going on around them (see people Stop at the top of escalators). Etc., Etc.

I doesn't matter what Flash was going through their head when they put up their hand and expressed their interest. It doesn't matter if they are past customers. It doesn't matter if you go to each others house for BBQ or meet once a week for Hot Chocolate at Denny's Diner. None of that matters.

And you need to learn to Let Go. Sure it's frustrating as heck - specially considering it's putting food on your table. But if it wasn't putting food on your table, you wouldn't be so... Desperate... to Make Them come to your way of doing things, would you? Let's face it... if you were on Hourly Rate your care factor would be zero. On hourly rate you'd still make the calls or whatever, because that's your job. But your vocal tonality would be different. Your sense of desperation/frustration would not be there. You'd be more neutral.

You want a script for past customers? Use this...

It's TW the xxxxxx. It's been 6 months since you last had yyyyyy and you're due again. Would like to schedule another service or wait another six months?

Now, despite claims of Make The Sale cause all you'll get in 6 months is another No... this gives them an Out. An out they can use back at you without needing to give a reason why, make up BS or just dodge the issue. (The same basic Script can be used in a Reminder Letter. But with a letter, just let them know they are due again and IF they think they need another service, to give you a call.

Dear Bob,

This is a friendly reminder letter to let you know your xxxxx is due again. If you think they need servicing again, please call me on 555-5555 to make an appointment.

Sincerely,

TW

I don't use tricks to make it appear urgent. Like... spots are filling fast so call me as soon as you see this or you may miss out. I don't use them because... I don't want them used on me, because we all know it's complete BS. (Same reason I give an out on the phone - because I don't want someone trying to get me to make a firm commitment right there and then.)

Michael Ross

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page