Go to the Main Business Forum page

New Domain Appraisal Scam [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Domain Appraisal Scam

Pages : 1 [2] 3

shae marks
May 24, 2009, 07:35 AM
The domain name appraisal scam — which was reborn with a different tact last month — has changed its target domain name appraisal service. A new scam email requests a domain name appraisal from TropicalNames.com. TopicalNames.com was just registered on April 2.

Last month’s e-mails tried to get users to pay for domain name appraisals at a bogus outfit called Pozde.com.

The emails offer three different services to choose from; two of which are legitimate. But the scam offers a third service that is cheaper than the others. I know that some people were taken in by the scam last time, coughing up $22.95 for an appraisal from Pozde.com.

Here’s the full text of the email:

I am interested to buy your domain name domain.COM and offer to buy it from you for 65% of the appraised market value.

As of now I accept appraisals from either one of the following leading appraisal companies:

sed o.com
tropicalnames.com
accuratedomains.com

If you already have an appraisal please forward it to me.

As soon as I have received your appraisal I will send you my payment (I use Paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow.com for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.

I appreciate your business,

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page

SOWPub Small Business Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The SOWPub Small Business Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.sowpub.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.sowpub.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.