Go to the Main Business Forum page

Self-employed, but snowed under with work? Try this.... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Self-employed, but snowed under with work? Try this....

Dien Rice
December 8, 2000, 07:33 PM
I have a good friend who lives in Sonoma, California....

Whenever I pass through San Francisco, I try to ensure I see him....

A few years ago he was struggling with his home business. He designs printed circuit boards.... Working completely from home.

He was having trouble keeping up with the workload. It was getting too much! While on the other hand, he was worried how he was going to pay the rent month-to-month.... He and his wife were living hand-to-mouth, with nothing left over to save....

But, a few months ago I saw him again, as I made my way back from Boston and Cuyahoga Falls to Sydney, via San Francisco....

This time, things were different. He had plenty of time, and plenty of money too.

He told me, he's found the secret.

What's the secret?

It's what we've been talking about here recently....

Now, he farms out some of the work. He gets the contracts, and he keeps in touch with people overseas who are also printed circuit board designers....

Because of the difference in salary rates in the USA and in many other countries, he could pay them well to do the work he didn't have time for, and still keep a profit for himself. They got more money, and so did he, since he doesn't have to turn down any contracts due to lack of time.... Everyone wins!

Often he'd do part of the work required, and they'd do a part.... So it was a kind of collaboration....

I think he had someone in New Zealand he was giving work to, someone in Brazil....

Depending on how busy they were, he had a few choices of those who he could give work to.

This freed up his time, and also increased his income as well....

It's another example of sharing the wealth - or using outsourcing, to increase your time and profits....

If you are self-employed.... Try this idea....

It might work for you too.

Dien Rice

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page