Go to the Main Business Forum page

Can you really get smarter in your sleep? The answer is... [Archive] - Page 5 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can you really get smarter in your sleep? The answer is...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Dien Rice
December 6, 2009, 02:19 AM
I got curious enough to see if the name had been taken.

It was taken in 2001 -- here's the site... http://sleeplearning.com/
Thanks TW...

It's interesting that whole businesses have been built around this!

Of course, just because there is one there already, doesn't mean it isn't also an opportunity...

Harvey Brody likes to see how he can create "toll positions" when he first starts a business. A "toll position" is anything that stops someone from competing directly with you, or copying you. (Some toll positions are stronger than others...)

If there are no toll positions, he looks for a different business idea...

A good domain name, I would say, is definitely a kind of "toll position". it's even stronger if it's trademarked too...

If you created your own audios (or had someone else create them, but you own the exclusive rights) - that's another strong toll position too (due to copyright protection)...

However, if you're just selling someone else's products (which you don't have exclusive rights to) - there's no toll position in that, since anyone can easily copy you, and sell the same thing...

I think it's a good exercise to examine existing businesses - and try to recognize their toll positions (or lack of them)... Some very successful businesses have extremely strong toll positions (as you'll recognize when you think of it). On the other hand, many "small business" people have very weak toll positions - which is probably one reason why they remain relatively small...

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page