Go to the Main Business Forum page

Study the Amish! ... Amish businesses have an Eye-popping 95% Success rate... [Archive] - Page 3 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Study the Amish! ... Amish businesses have an Eye-popping 95% Success rate...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dien Rice
June 3, 2010, 04:33 PM
In my opinon, one reason for their success is, HARD WORK. And number 2 is they take great PRIDE in their work...they just won't do something that other people will use unless it is something they would use (or Eat, in the case of their many well known kitchens).

Hard Work.
Pride.
Frugal investment strategy.

Almost every Amishman that I know believes in a two tier TITHE, that is, 10% to church or community and 10% to family BEFORE they divide the rest up.
Hi Phil and Gordon,

Thanks for this very interesting information about the Amish and their success in business!

It sounds like the "Protestant work ethic" (as it's been called) is at play here... Hard work for its own sake, and valuing frugal living. (That means they don't wantonly spend their money on useless stuff.)

There's the old saying which summarizes this point of view...

"Idle hands do the devil's work."

(Or "Idle hands make mischief.")

The idea is that keeping busy - by working hard - is a pious act in itself.

Also, a sincere Amish person isn't going to spend their profits on the latest new-technology 3D television set, or Apple iPad. (Since they don't use electricity or other new technology.) That means they have that money available to plow back into the business.

Another thing is the Amish have a great "image". It's an image of down-to-earth honesty and hard work. People trust them because of that (and for good reason, too, I would say). I'm sure that would also help.

In addition, from what I've read, the Amish form a strong-knit community. So if one Amish is in trouble, others in the community would probably do what they can to help him. That community support could be critical, especially during hard times.

Thanks, I gained and learned a lot from your posts!

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page