Go to the Main Business Forum page

Bobblehead Magnate has customers nodding in approval and wanting more... [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bobblehead Magnate has customers nodding in approval and wanting more...

Pages : 1 [2]

MarkC
June 15, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hi Phil,

Interesting that you posted the bobblehead magnate up. A couple years ago I made up a website selling just customised bobbleheads. At first it was fun and there was a little bit of pocket change there to be made, but there were problems that popped up when more business started coming in.

Firstly, for any customised products, it means having to line up what you have created to the customers expectations. Even if you are off slightly in results or if there is a misunderstanding, this could mean a lot of back and forth communication. This takes up time - more time than you would originally expect.

Secondly, I outsourced the creation of the custom bobbleheads and the quality of them was great at first but went down as time went on. This caused more problems which I tried to get this overall issue fixed. In the end the hassle wasn't worth it and it was no longer fun for me so I gave up on it.

It taught me a couple of lessons.

If you are doing a customised product/service, make sure you are getting a enough return for your time.

Automate as much as possible.

Test your processes first to see where your strengths and weaknesses are before you roll out.

Hope someone finds this useful
Mark

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page