Go to the Main Business Forum page

How to do a marketing blitz like Lady Gaga! [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to do a marketing blitz like Lady Gaga!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Dien Rice
June 3, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm not really a fan of Lady Gaga...

Having said that, she knows how to get attention and market herself!

As you may have noticed, she's just come out with a new album, and the marketing blitz has been on...

Here's an interesting article about it...

Gaga blitzes the market with landmark campaign
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110525/ap_on_hi_te/us_going_gaga

I thought this quote was interesting...

-----
"It was really about expanding the distribution on this album and going into as many non-traditional retail partnerships and non-traditional marketing partnerships as possible," Gaga's manager, Troy Carter, told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
-----

If you read the article, you'll see that she is marketing her album many "non-traditional" ways with many different partners - e.g. selling it at Starbucks, Lady Gaga-inspired clothing available through an online fashion outlet, a new online game "Gagaville" (by the creators of "Farmville"), a promotional giveaway with Best Buy, etc.

There's a great "lesson" here... You don't have to sell your product only one or two ways, or the way that all your competitors sell it. You can sell it in "non-traditional" ways too - by partnering with others in "win/win" deals.

This also reminds me of another story. Joe Cossman wanted to sell some "shrunken heads" he had just acquired - but how? In the end, he didn't sell them through toy stores or novelty stores - he sold them through gas stations, and he sold a lot! A gas station is not the normal place you would think of buying a "shrunken head" - but I guess they were great "impulse" items when people went to pay for their gas.

In summary...

Consider selling your products or services through non-traditional outlets and channels.
You can do this by doing "win/win" deals with the various people who control these non-traditional outlets and channels.

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. About the power of marketing blitzes (in this case, in publishing) - also see this excellent Denny Hatch article...

Blitzkrieg PR -
http://www.targetmarketingmag.com/article/how-launch-book-product-serviceand-8212-or-anything-else-93556#utm_source=targetmarketingmag.com&utm_medium=article_page&utm_campaign=tools

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page