Go to the Main Business Forum page

Newspapers Don't Get It [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers Don't Get It

Pages : [1] 2

Bozo
July 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
I barely get it myself, but newspapers sure don't get it. Of course I'm making an assumption here, which is that the newspapers want to inform us of whatever it is they write about.

I recently discovered Google Alerts, and have found that they are perfect for keeping up with whatever topic you care to follow. You can set up an alert and you'll get emails whenever a pertinent story pops up.

A few months ago a friend killed himself and his wife in a small plane crash while traveling to visit their family. The event upset me and I got to wondering how often this happens because it seems like you don't hear about it all that often.

I set up a Google Alert for "small plane crash", which is the phrase most used by newspapers. I was surprised to learn that people are smashing these things up at a rate of over one a day.

Anyway, my point comes from these newspaper reports. The lack of facts is one thing, and seems epidemic, but the most glaring omission I've noticed is lack of location.

Newspapers all over America think they are the only newspaper in the country and that nobody beyond their local area could possibly be interested in what they have to say.

This story (http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/S2209111.shtml?cat=10349) illustrates this lack of information. Why can't newspapers, at least on their web sites, tell us where in the world they are? Makes no sense to me.

Sure, you can deduce the location from other leads on the page.
"Duluth boy drowns..."
"Itasca County motorcyclist..."
Etc.
How hard would it be to put "from Duluth Minnesota..." somewhere on the page?

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page