Go to the Main Business Forum page

How to Make $500.00 per TRANSACTION by Chatteling (buying and selling). [Archive] - Page 13 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to Make $500.00 per TRANSACTION by Chatteling (buying and selling).

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

GordonJ
July 11, 2012, 01:40 PM
Brands etc. is totally irrelevant.

To make a quick grand, look for TRANSPORTATION specials, usually considered to be under 5k, or less.

I look for the nicest looking, lowest miles, and with transmission or engine problems. We have several public auctions in this area, and they auction off the non running cars first...

So, what is available? I start there.

I know certain markets...like daddy buying the new college or high school student a car, they like ones that look nice, have a good stereo, and dad wants it safe.

Guys needed to get to work and back, don't really care how it looks, more interested in if it runs or not.

FL, CA, TX southern cars need working air conditioning...and with weather changes it seem the whole country NOW needs this feature.

Moms looking for soccer vans, again, safety is the issue and looks.

Above the transportation level, at 5 to 10k, they look for newer models with low mileage with a good track record, so that comes into play.

What I suggest is you act as if you are in the market, and see what is available in your area, and check local ebay for what has sold, and craigslist to see what is offered and how long it lasts.

Something that goes pretty fast, may be an indicator for what you want to look for. A car or van that has been on craigslist for more than a week or two, indicates the price is either too high, and/or there is a problem which a buyer doesn't want to mess with.

Spend a couple of months keeping track, get a pen and notebook, and within the next 90 days, YOU'LL be the expert and be able to spot a bargain.

Again, I have resources, including an inexpensive transmission guy, who gives a one year guarantee too at less than half the price of the national guys...only thing, he is local...so you have to come back to him, still for a student or worker in the area, it keeps the thing running for a year.

If I get something at auction, I invest in it, NEW tires, new windshield wipers, new battery, tune up, and a very clean and neat car.

Sometimes, one can find a good car which has been basically thrown away, some mechanic falsely tells his customer she needs a new engine, but he'll give her 400 dollars for her car...I bought one, sold it for 2200, did NOT need anything but a wrench to tighten a bolt.

Look for parade of life events as explained in the chattel report, the sprint to freedom, there is where you'll find bargains...IN FL, lots of old people die, with relatively new cars and survivors just want cash...

MY way of chatteling is different, I don't look for things, brands or what have you except in rare instances...I look for UNDERVALUED CHATTEL, and make my money when I buy...

UNDERVALUED CHATTEL. There is a gap of cash between seller and new buyer and you stand in that gap.

Too many people over complicate this, if you can make a buck on it and you know that when you buy it...and there is a market with a proven track record of buying (ebay completed listings)...then you pull the trigger and make a deal.

Gordon Jay Alexander Mr. Chattel

What brands, body styles, and ages do you go after? I think work vehicles and Japanese cars would probably be good, although they're probably the hardest to find a deal on in classifieds.

I've always wanted to flip cars just because I actually like cruising classifieds for them-even if I'm not in the market for one at all. I just never quite pulled the trigger due to fear of them breaking down as soon as I get them, seeing as that's what usually happens when I buy a car for myself.

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page