Go to the Main Business Forum page

The World Is Your Oyster, Oyster Raises $3 Million, Becomes Spotify for Books... [Archive] - Page 4 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The World Is Your Oyster, Oyster Raises $3 Million, Becomes Spotify for Books...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Dien Rice
October 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
Amazon is already doing something similar - but with poor branding as of yet.

From Kindle direct publishing admin panel:
Hi Ankesh,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd heard of the Amazon Kindle-based lending program, but haven't really checked it out yet. I had assumed that publishers wouldn't profit from it - but it looks like I was wrong, and there could be profit to be made from the program!

I am planning to get a book into the Kindle store - it's one of those things I'm working on... :)

Oyster seems to have a good team. I hope they succeed and can launch worldwide* instead of just in USA - because with the success of digital books - libraries are in decline. And there is a gap to fill.

(* Netflix is not available in India. Spotify is not available in India. Hulu is not available in India. I don't know why content creators only focus on the US market while licensing their content. Just increases the number of people who pirate their content. With digital content, you can't take a border oriented approach. Because internet has no borders.)
According to stats I've seen, India has the third largest number of internet users of any country (after China and the USA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users

Also, I'm sure you could say it has the second largest number of English-speaking users of any country...!

They would be crazy not to include India. Maybe there could be an opportunity here for this (or other) services, where others have overlooked the large, and growing, Indian online market...!

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page