Go to the Main Business Forum page

Getting things done with "nested" to-do lists... [Archive] - Page 8 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting things done with "nested" to-do lists...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

Cornell
October 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Dien:

Yes this works for me.

I keep all the notebooks...actually have two fire resistant 4 drawer filing cabinets full of them.

I have been doing web sites for 14 years now...and I still get a few clients from those early years coming back to do changes or additions, or needing troubleshooting. By having these notebooks and portfolios I can simply pull them and know exactly what had been done previously....and trust me... the memory ain't what it used to be so these are definitely a help.

Also if there is a dispute about a time frame I can pull the dates in question and verify my notations to make sure I am correct and not mistaken.

I also have used the post-its (sticky notes)...they actually work pretty well...after a couple of pulls and placements they seem to fall off easily but I find a paper clip secures them after that....and if they need to become a permanent part of records - a staple takes care of that.

Actually the frame of my monitor could be an advertisement for post-its....it is adorned with them to remind me about critical time and date sensitive happenings.

Have endured numerous hard drive crashes...and way back when backups were done on tape had the tapes de-spool and the backup be garbage.

Just recently I went through a complete loss by a huge power spike. At the time it hit I had my second computer doing a backup and also my external backup drives running their backup. Surge supressor apparently failed to stop it. As a result both computers fried (including hard drives) as well as my external drives. Spent 4 weeks recovering data from damaged drives with 60% of it unusable....tremendous loss...but...all my pen and paper records were intact.

I like Duane's egg timer idea...will have to give that a try.

I have another little item I use...it drives my kids nuts....it is called Sound Pilot (http://www.colorpilot.com/soundpilot.html).

When I was in high school one of the language classes I wanted was full and needed another class to fill my schedule...so looked for a 'bird class' (no brainer, easy, and no homework)...took a commercial stream course - beginner's typing. The instructor used a device similar to a metronome (piano teaching accessory) to give us a pace to type to and as it sped up so did we....with goal of 50 words per minute....I never quite made it...best was only 42. That device emitted the same sound as the Sound Pilot does when a key is hit.....so now I just turn it on and as it emits the sound of a typewriter key I use it to get myself in a quick easy pace for keying in on the computer.

I have tried Dragon Naturally Speaking but with dismal success. My workspace has too many varying background noises to use it successfully and have it come out relatively correct...found it took longer to edit than to just key it in.

C.

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page