Go to the Main Business Forum page

No. of entrepreneurs aged 55-64 growing, while those aged 20-34 are shrinking... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : No. of entrepreneurs aged 55-64 growing, while those aged 20-34 are shrinking...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dien Rice
March 1, 2013, 05:59 PM
Apparently, the number of entrepreneurs in the 55-64 age bracket are growing. On the other hand, entrepreneurs in the 20-34 age bracket have been shrinking.

Why is this happening?

You would think it would be because of the jobs situation - though that would probably hit the younger age-bracket too.

There are probably many reasons. One reason is probably related to the economy. On the other hand, another reason could be that more "boomers" want to follow their dream of starting their own business - and realize, if they're ever going to do it, now's the time!

Unfortunately, age discrimination could also be a factor. I believe that experience counts for a lot, so I think that's a very unfortunate thing.

It looks like the era for "boomer businesses" could be here!

Here's the article where I read about this...

It's never too late to become an entrepreneur
http://www.dailybreeze.com/lifeandculture/ci_22083255/helen-dennis-its-never-too-late-become-an

Another factor is, according to that article, baby boomers (and those older) are the healthiest generation in history. Being healthy (and staying healthy) means you want to keep your mind and body active - and starting a business certainly helps with that!

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page