Go to the Main Business Forum page

Chattel chatter, anyone? [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Chattel chatter, anyone?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Dien Rice
March 9, 2013, 08:10 PM
Spring is coming, the weather will be warming up ... and it will be a great time to move some chattel!
Hi Robert,

In all honesty, I haven't "chatteled" for a while...

However, here's a quick story of perhaps how not to do it...

Quite a while ago, I was buying and selling laptop computers. This was a few years ago now, and at that time, a second-hand laptop would sell for around $2,000... (Of course, they're much cheaper now.)

I really did just buy and sell them for a profit. I didn't fix them up in any way. Just buy low, sell high, buy here, sell there...

However, I think what I did was a dangerous way to do chatteling! Why?

What happens if the laptop works when I bought it, then breaks down before I've sold it?

Firstly, I was only usually making about 10% margin on these. (I'd say, buy them for about $1,800, and sell them for around $2,000, making around $200 per "flip"...)

But, if a laptop broke down - I could lose the whole lot! It would be about 10 "flips" worth, down the drain...

Secondly, a lot of people were buying and selling second-hand laptops. These were usually laptop repair stores, which would buy broken laptops and fix them up to sell. Anyway, because there were quite a few of those around, they drove the prices up, at least at auctions.

(I went to a few auctions, and was bewildered at the ridiculous prices these untested, possibly-not-working laptops sold for... I never bought at an auction, because the prices were crazy, at least in my area.)

Anyway, that's why I got out of it in the end. I never did have a laptop break down on me (I always flipped them quite quickly, within a week or two). However, I was always worried it could happen, and take a lot of my profits!

Better, in my opinion, to go for those things that won't break down easily...

Just think of the "Parade of Life," as Gordon teaches...

I should get back into this (though probably not with laptops)... Chatteling is always good for some quick cash... :)

Best wishes!

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page

SOWPub Small Business Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The SOWPub Small Business Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.sowpub.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.sowpub.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.