Go to the Main Business Forum page

Poll: Who is making some $$$ [Archive] - Page 4 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who is making some $$$

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Dien Rice
July 3, 2013, 10:55 PM
Just curious: I like Sowpub and all the ideas and advice that comes from it.
However, is anyone actually learning and making any money from the advice from this forum, or any other? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be negative, but just curious if anyone has applied techniques and advice from this forum or any other in order to improve life or make a difference in their life by taking action?
Hi Rick,

Good question. Sorry it's taken me a couple days to respond, just been busy!

Of course, there simply isn't time to try to do all the businesses which are posted about here! People will pick and choose what suits them best.

Having said that, some people have posted about their successes (and sometimes their failures) on the forum over the years too, so there is also evidence in the posts.

Personally, I've made thousands of dollars from chatteling. I'm not so active in doing it at present, but I know it's something I can always start again at anytime and start making an extra income.

I've made money from info-products, and still do, both my own and other people's products. You can learn a lot from people here on how to do that.

While I didn't make money for myself, I did help a friend drive business to his restaurant, which helped him turn it around (he's a great chef, but the restaurant was failing because no-one knew about it). I didn't get paid in cash, but have gotten many free meals and discounts from his gratitude! I'm considering doing this on a more professional basis for other restaurants, as I've noticed there are often good restaurants which need help in getting the word out, and I've now proven that I can help them get business.

I also took a sales job once, at Gordon Alexander's advice, which I did mainly for the experience. I was selling tickets for a comedy club, on a commission only basis. Thanks to advice I learned from people here, I often won the weekly sales competitions. (They even offered me a promotion to a supervisor position, but since I was doing it for the sales experience, not for a potential career, I turned the promotion down so I could keep selling and gain more sales experience.) Now I know that sales is also something I can "fall back on" and make a living from if I ever want to or need to.

What's the result? With a lot of the knowhow I've learned from people here, I'm very confident I'll never starve or have to collect unemployment benefits, which is a nice kind of security!

Of course, to make it work out it's not enough to read, but you have to go out and take action! That's truly the best teacher!

My main weakness is the common ADD/ADHD type weakness (I believe I have some of the traits), which is that I don't always like sticking to things for very long periods, and I tend to like variety. However, it does make for a very interesting life!

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page