Go to the Main Business Forum page

Poll: Who is making some $$$ [Archive] - Page 9 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who is making some $$$

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Dien Rice
July 10, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'm interested in specifics.

Maybe The food is Different Down-Under. Or the marketing is Up-side-down.

I'd Enjoy hearing about up-side-down sales ideas.

I'll swap you some of my Restaurant Promotion ideas for yours.
Thanks Glenn, those are some good ideas! I'll suggest them to my chef friend.

Here is how I helped my friend get more business for his restaurant.

When I started helping him, he didn't have a website. He was already listed on some of those restaurant review websites (such as urbanspoon, and others), but on all the websites, there was just one review (which was a positive one).

Virtually the only way he was getting customers was from local people who would walk by. What hampered him with this approach was that he is not located in the best area. He is located in a relatively low income suburb, and I think the locals don't eat out too much, and when they do, they are very price-conscious.

The first thing I did was to create a simple one page website for him.

This website has the contact details, an enticing introductory paragraph (designed to get people to want to come there), then a menu, a map (using Google maps), some quotes from my chef friend about his vision, then a brief biography about his background. Finally, there are links to articles about him and his restaurant from the media.

I next made sure he was listed on all those restaurant review websites, and that there was a link to his website from those review websites.

There were actually no articles about him in the media when I started the website, so I wrote a media release about him and sent it to the local newspapers. (On the website, I put a link to my media release, until he did start getting articles about him in the media.)

The story got picked up by one local paper, then it was further picked up by one of the two major metropolitan newspapers, which printed a full page review of his restaurant. (The top half of the page was my friend's photo, while the second half was a positive review based on an unannounced "secret visit" one of their reporters made to the restaurant one night. They sent their photographer around at a later date to get the photo.)

As you can see, this is actually basic stuff. The key is, he had something people loved, it's just that few people knew about it! I really just helped to get the word out.

There's a lot more I could do (such as develop an email list), but that's what's happened so far!

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page

SOWPub Small Business Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The SOWPub Small Business Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.sowpub.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.sowpub.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.