Go to the Main Business Forum page

WOW! "Rejection" Selling WORKS! [Archive] - Page 3 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : WOW! "Rejection" Selling WORKS!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dien Rice
February 23, 2015, 12:57 AM
(Now...here's where I learned my "REJECTION SELLING" technigue would work (I had already gone into one hotel with a pre-made Board for their hotel and... told why my Board would benefit their hotel then....."asked his PERMISSION to mount my Board on a wall in the Lobby and...
his response was, "Nah! I don't think it would go with our décor!")

So....I realized I HAD TO COME UP with a "REJECTION-PROOF" presentation. Heck! The Board was TOTALLY FREE to them!

So.....I remembered my days of "Assumption Selling" and.....this brought to mind...."OK.... what if I not only ASSUME the Hotels would "Give ME permission to mount my FREE Board on their Lobby Walls BUT.....what if, instead of looking for a "positive-response" (which I found did not work) what if I were to "ASSUME THEY WOULD REJECT my offer!" .....by saying,

"Mr GM.....WOULD YOU HAVE ANY OBJECTION TO LETTING ME MOUNT THIS BOARD ON THE WALL NEXT TO WHERE YOUR GUESTS REGISTER?"
Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing your technique...

There's a certain psychology here. People are more likely to answer a particular way if you phrase the question a particular way - even if the "meaning" of the question ends up being the same...

"May I have your permission to...?" sounds pretty much the same as "Would you have any objection to...?"

In both cases, the owner can say "no" - they just have to phrase it differently. It is completely ethical...

However, for some reason, people react differently if you phrase it one way, compared to another way...

Maybe it's related to what they call "loss aversion"... People hate to lose something, more than they enjoy gaining something. So, for example, the pain of losing $100 is greater than the joy of gaining $100.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-decision-lab/201108/loss-aversion-why-do-we-hang-things-no-reason

In your case, maybe when you say, "May I have permission to...?" they are thinking, they will gain a board if they say "yes."

But if you say, "Would you have any objection if I...?" they are thinking, they will lose a board if they say "no!"

And the pain of losing may be greater than the joy in gaining...!

Just thinking out loud... :)

Hopefully, this will help everyone to make more "spondoolies"...! :)

- Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page