Go to the Main Business Forum page

Opportunities on Flippa -buying/selling websites [Archive] - Page 7 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities on Flippa -buying/selling websites

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Dien Rice
June 13, 2015, 09:06 AM
Thanks Dien.

I have been on both sides of the table - have sold websites before as well as bought them.
Hi Ankesh,

Thanks - you're clearly an "old hand" at this!

I've bought websites before - on a very small scale - and it was a long time ago, too... So I'm planning to "jump back in" with the way things are now...

Looking through the listings, you're right - there's a lot of "garbage" there, and you have to watch out for it. There are undoubtedly some "scammers" there too. However, I also see a number of good potential opportunities - if the price is right...

Some people seem to greatly overvalue their websites, in my opinion. For example, I saw a website which said it was making $10 a month, which wanted a $5,000 minimum bid for it. There was nothing special about the domain name. If it kept making $10 a month (or $120 a year), and you bought it for $5,000, a quick calculation shows that it would take you over 41 years to make your money back! (Who knows, I might not live that long!)

Anyway, I passed on that one... :)

Thanks for your excellent advice, Ankesh!

I'm essentially looking for either (1) websites that would help enhance and fit in with what I'm already doing, or (2) websites (in any niche) that I can run profitably in a "semi-automated" way... By that, I mean I could run it profitably without taking too much of my time. I'd be okay with hiring freelancers to help run it (e.g. to write new articles regularly), as long as the profit is sufficient to cover that cost...

Anyway, I'm still keeping my eyes open... Thanks for the very good advice! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page