Go to the Main Business Forum page

What are "toll positions"? (A refresher post!) [Archive] - Page 20 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are "toll positions"? (A refresher post!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

MichaelWinicki
June 21, 2015, 06:03 PM
I think it depends on your protection. For example, it's extremely easy to "knock off" Mickey Mouse, and print Mickey Mouse T-shirts for example. However, you don't see too many of them around - at least in "Western" countries. The reason why is because Disney will legally defend their "toll position" and quickly put these knock-off artists out of business, and make sure they are heavily fined.

However, you need to have the toll position in the first place in order to do this!

In countries where protection for copyrights and trademarks is weak, it's a different story... But that doesn't mean you can't still make a lot of money, for long periods of time, in the many countries (including the USA) where the "rule of law" is strong...

Thanks Mike!

- Dien

No question Dien copyright infringement laws (and others) are a great deterrent.

But first you need to have that "toll position" product in order to have something to protect.

Which brings me back to my whole point in all this... I think creating or finding or building a "toll position" is a difficult thing to pull off.

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page