Go to the Main Business Forum page

How I got a simple toll position... with no money down... [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How I got a simple toll position... with no money down...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

GordonJ
June 29, 2015, 09:52 PM
Just stay out of prison, OK? Maybe Ben is penning his version of the Boron letters, hopefully.

SCI used this exact toll strategy for the Vermont Folk Medicine, an old story here, yes...but now,

in my best Paul Harvey (RIP) voice, the rest of the story.

While at SCI I was under the supervision of Rod Napier, the COO at the time
and was assigned to the Hanford Press Division, run by Chip Klingaman.

One of my jobs was to sort through SGS (Sales Generator Systems) looking for products to market. One of my Rod assignments was to look for opportunities in the old "Astrology" markets, where Ben likes to forget it was his first WINNER.

This market was (and IS) a huge market.

Anyhow, we looked for things LUCKY, like charms, amulets, etc., because we had a great jewelry buyer and Lindenwold Jewelry, also run by Chip, was doing gangbusters.

The idea was to create a family of products around the LUCK and "magic" type stuff, actually into the fringes of New Age stuff (which Ben hated) but the rest of us were looking for established markets.

It was my OPINION, that the HIKUTA work fell into this category, over the protests of the martial artists on board, "apples and oranges" said they, and me..."magic is magic".

One of our top copywriters who would later create a cross sprinkled with sand from Jesus' tomb, was a devout person who thought magic was the work of the devil. I think she also created Pope on a Rope to shower with when Pope John Paul passed away...

anyhoo,

I was able to test (outside of SCI) some promotions on this "luck" stuff and found it was a lucrative market. TODAY, it is so much easier to find these groups and one of my favorite Remote Direct Marketers was Al G. Manning, a prolific writer who sold "prayers" for the most part...spells, incantations, all things White Magic, or so he said.

I considered the Scientologists I encountered in 1970 as being in this fringe

But there are tons of abandon "Paper and Ink" projects you can pick up and create for nothing.

Even old Public Domain stuff can be used to create a toll position, here is an example:

Wallace Wattles.

There are dozens of sites and tons of books selling Wattles stuff. Some have taken this public domain info and created courses around it.

But like everything, it is the MARKETING and promotion and online the TRAFFIC source and the INTERSECTION of the traffic and the Promotion which determines success.

I am seeking the rights to several old books on a different topic, the hardest part is tracking down the current Copyright holders, the Copyright is in many cases part of the estate and the heirs are clueless and often don't even now they own them, or if they do, think they have treasure and want bars of gold up front.

But, there is plenty of gold to be found in the book "takeover" or reissue market (or exclusive rights)... IF you can write a promotion and get targeted traffic to it...ah, the fine print.

Gordon

It seems many people believe in the power of toll positions... But don't know how to get one...

Well, toll positions come in many shapes and flavors!

Here's how I got a simple, early toll position...

If you scroll to the bottom of this page, you'll see a link which says "The Success Report"...

That's a report which wasn't written by me. It was written by Michael Ross.

Michael wrote a great report, but he didn't want the hassle of having to sell it (which can take time and effort). So, he and I came to a deal...

I'd promote his report, and exclusively sell it. We'd split the profits evenly!

It worked for me!

Now, you might think, this is just like selling any affiliate product. Actually, it isn't. The difference is the exclusivity. Nobody else sells the Success Report but me... It's a toll position which is shared between me and Michael. If you want to get a copy, you have to go through me, and Michael will also get his share of the profit.

I didn't create the report. Michael doesn't have to put in the effort to sell it... It's a win/win situation!

Now... When we did that deal, I didn't know much about toll positions. But that's what I got... A very simple toll position I've made a profit from every year since we did the deal...

By the way, if you have any info-product you'd like me to promote (possibly in collaboration with Gordon Alexander, if he's interested), let me know... I'm open to more of these deals. (Shoot me an email (dien@sowpub.com).) It's win/win for all involved... You can "add value" to your own toll position...

The point is - you can acquire toll positions, and do it with no money down. You don't have to exploit people - it can be done on a basis where everybody wins...

That was a very simple example! I've done plenty of similar deals, as well as some more exotic deals... But that was one of the earlier ones.

Now... What Harvey's doing nowadays puts this in the dust. However, you have to crawl before you can walk... More in the future...!

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page