Go to the Main Business Forum page

Business advice from 7 of the top CEOs in business today [Archive] - Page 5 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Business advice from 7 of the top CEOs in business today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

GordonJ
August 12, 2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks Margaret and Dien, good stuff on the "pop-up" business model.

We are just about to release an update of our ABSENTEE CASH COW report, now part of a series of "Cash Cow Reports"

Steve DiMarco created his own little pop ups at golf courses with his nut warmer business which pulled in between 300 and 500 a week for about 3 hours of "work".

Somewhere buried in our archives are my experiences with Hickory Farms, a pop up business that appears overnight in malls across the country for the holiday season between Thanksgiving and New Years. They were a huge company at one point. Mall kiosks are examples of a pop up as is the Friday night Snow Cone guy here in Cuyahoga Falls.

Hot dog and street vendors, like Dave in Kent (more archive stuff), who operated food and ice cream trucks for a decade, are also of the pop up variety.

I think the UK experience mirrors our own here in USA, more and more mom and pop little "tents", some with a multi-million dollar company behind them, are popping up across the land, many run by retirees.

We have TWO huge jewelry companies here in Akron, almost right next to each other in Fairlawn, which operate retail stores and pop up businesses throughout North America.

Most can be ABSENTEE CASH COWS for the lazy Entrepreneur who just wants to fly low and collect the dough.

Gordon

Hi Margaret,

Thanks - that was an interesting article!

I don't know much about "pop-ups"... But I do know that fitting out a retail store can be very expensive. From the retailer's point of view, starting out as a "pop-up" would seem to make a lot of sense... It's a way to "test" the market, without the full-blown expense of a full-blown retail store...!

It could also be a good way to "test" several locations less expensively... Then, once you get the results from several locations, you could set up a proper retail store in the location where you achieved the best sales...

There's a lot to be said for testing... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page