Go to the Main Business Forum page

BONUS Biz Op today, for piles of moolah next year. [Archive] - Page 5 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BONUS Biz Op today, for piles of moolah next year.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

GordonJ
December 13, 2016, 10:09 AM
I started selling co-sponsor ads today and got 1 yes and 1 maybe. Both sales presentations took less than 5 minutes. I have also gotten times to go back and see two other potential co-sponsors that the decision maker wasn't there. So far, so good.

is an old saying mostly interpreted as "hard work". Truth: all selling is a grind.

Doesn't mean it can't be fun, doesn't mean it can't be lucrative, DOES mean, it is effort. Work. Continuous and constant.

I think selling advertising is one of the most started and STOPPED of any money making activity. If you follow help wanted ads, you'll see it is a churn and burn industry. It is not uncommon to see the same company advertising for the same territory, just a couple of months after hiring.

Two to three months is all it takes, and even less for the commission only guys.

That is why it is churn and burn.

My coming of age gift was a pocket knife and a whetstone. My father was a barber (and Goodyear employee as well)...and he was very good at sharpening shears, razors and using a grindstone. In fact, he had a little sideline business of sharpening.

But his lesson for me was, it requires you pay attention to the mundane and boring activity of sharpening your knife, lest you become known as "pinkie" or "lefty"... lose a finger or cut yourself.

The joy of the task was found in having a tool ready to do it's job with maximum effectiveness.

IF you understand that selling is grinding, and relentless grinding...you can do very well with direct selling.

Make it a game, have fun, keep copious notes of all calls, prospect excuses and rejections, successes and compile a system which works for you.

Good luck with this project, 9 out of 10 quit in less than 90 days, most, in fact after only a few tries.

GordonJ

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page