SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I just send an email (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3707)

Joetrevison February 10, 2007 10:51 AM

I just send an email

To a guy that wants to sell my another book on copywriting. Here is what I wrote:

I know most of this stuff anyway. I have been study it for years. I know bullets and testimonials and all that stuff. I studied Melvin Powers, Joseph E. Cossman. Your lost books. Sizzle from the great Elmer Wheeler and Dan S. Kennedy, Jay Abraham, "Magic Words that Bring You Riches' by Ted Nicholas and "Making Money in Your Underwear!" and so much more. My office downtown and Here at the home office are full of these guys and many others. If I was left alone on a Island I would take just 3 books: "The Letter Book" by Robert Collier, "How to Write Letters That Sell" by Christian H. Godefroy, and How to Attain Your Desires' by "Genevieve Behrend

See I don't need to know whats in another book. Because these guy told it all. Oh Yes, I have 3 of the works of the great copywriter Eugene M. Schwartz books, two on copywriting and one on eduction. The one on education was the cheapest one. You go figure.

Ankesh February 10, 2007 01:40 PM

Re: I just send an email

Why would you want marketing books when you're stuck on an island?

And actually - those guys haven't told it all. Not even close.

All those books do is give you a good base to marketing. But some of the books that have come out in the last decade have been mind blowing.

* The Tipping Point.

* Waiting for Your Cat to Bark (actually reads like a textbook - but there were some amazingly new concepts in there that Cossman, Abraham, Kennedy et al have never talked about.)

* The Irresistible Formula

* The Wizard of Ads

* Why We Buy

And many more. Plus there are topics like PR and event management - which have changed a lot in the past 50 years. You can't read a 50 year old book on those topics. And then there are whole new topics emerging - like neuro-marketing.

Its not necessary for every business man to read these books. (Its not necessary for a businessman to read any of the books you stated either.) But they do talk about a lot of things that have never been talked about before.

Phil February 10, 2007 04:39 PM

I'm Stuck on an Island and can Never have Too many of the Best Marketing books. :)

Like Ankesh said, you can and should Never stop Learning from Fresh New ideas & concepts!

And if you Happen to need a Marketing book on How to Market your Books... ;)

John Kremer, 1001 Ways to Market Your Books & John Kremer's Book Marketing Tip of the Week...

And other Good Stuff...

http://www.bookmarket.com/

Phil

Joetrevison February 10, 2007 07:17 PM

The Irresistible Formula

* The Wizard of Ads

* Why We Buy

I don't have "The Wizard of Ads or the "Why We Buy" but I bet I can tell you what is in them We buy on emotions and others things sometime. The Irresisstible Formulat I have. However the concept is old even though he saids it is not a USP. It certain is related. And it goes back to the 1950's with Earl Shive "I will paint any car for $29.95. Before I read the book: I used " I will get you out of the Grip of the IRs for $90. Since I increase my price to $300 I can't use that anyone. So I got a new one. It tells what I do and do not mention price. "YOu know how you have problems with the IRS and other Government agencies, well I am an accountant that uses two ideas to Get you out their grip: Offers in Compremise and problems Resultions Offers."

Joetrevison February 10, 2007 07:21 PM

I read Melvin Powers book on selling your books. So as I told you I know marketing. Of course I buy stuff but not everything If I know what is in the book? Why would I?

Pete Egeler February 10, 2007 08:18 PM

Sorry. Joe.. You DON'T know marketing.

What you want people to believe, and what you actually know are two different things.

Keep in mind that someone that "knows" marketing is always eager to learn more because they don't know it all, and they are more than happy to learn more.

Don't ever believe that just because you read a Public Domain book from the 20's, that everything published in 2007 is a "re-hash".

For a real marketer, there is still a lot to learn from the youngsters. Just one little "Ah-Ha!" can turn your businesses from a fairy tale to reality if you're open to learning.

Pete

Ankesh February 11, 2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joetrevison (Post 13916)
The Irresistible Formula

* The Wizard of Ads

* Why We Buy

I don't have "The Wizard of Ads or the "Why We Buy" but I bet I can tell you what is in them We buy on emotions and others things sometime.

No. Those books don't talk a lot about emotions.

Why We Buy is based on research done by Paco Underhill. It tries to quantify the effect various touchpoints in a store has. For example: how narrow aisles decrease sales - and things like that. Just like Elmer Wheeler and Ted Nicholas experimented with words, Paco Underhill experimented with touch points.

Wizard of Ads is a book by Roy H. Williams and it has 101 short 1-2 page memos or notes in it on various ideas. The ideas seem un-connected to each other - but if you read the book closely, you'll see that you have almost every thing you need to put a good marketing strategy in place for your company. (BTW, this book has the best cover I've ever seen.)

The Irresistible Formula - I've never read any other book that lays down the formula for creating offers in 4 steps - like this book does. Ah sure it is related to some topics discussed in old books. But thats like saying you can do taxes for people by following a 1950 Tax book instead of a 2006-07 tax book. After all - both books are based on numbers and formulas and legal jargon and stuff.

Joetrevison February 11, 2007 10:13 AM

Pete there are just four steps and you should know that.

Find a huge market.
Find a product or service for this market
Find a sales system to reach this market
Find Backups and more backup products or services.

That what all the books in marketing are about, one or more of these things. Is it not, Pete.

I do buy other books but I am careful on what I buy. I bought two of Mark Joyner books. I bought some of Joe Vitali current stuff. I bought Jim Straws stuff. Mark stuff I knew. Joe V. was somethings I learned. Jim Staw is always good.

Dien Rice February 13, 2007 08:16 PM

What the brash new upstarts can teach the "old marketing masters"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankesh (Post 13912)
Why would you want marketing books when you're stuck on an island?

And actually - those guys haven't told it all. Not even close.

All those books do is give you a good base to marketing. But some of the books that have come out in the last decade have been mind blowing.

I think I gotta agree with Ankesh...

Don't get me wrong. I "love" the "old masters". I have a stack of Elmer Wheeler books. I have (and have read) Eugene Schwartz, David Ogilvy, I've read "Scientific Advertising" by Claude Hopkins (through an online version). I recommend them all - they're great.

However, I've also learned a lot from more "recent" authors. I think Joe Sugarman's books are among the best. Then, there are other types of marketing too - which none of the "old masters" cover. Things like word-of-mouth marketing, or how to get free media coverage. Some businesses have been built mostly on free PR. Richard Branson practically built his empire on free publicity, and still uses it today...

I think the best is to read widely, and be well-rounded - and put what you learn into practice. Give it a shot. It'll all help in the end.

Just my 2 nickels (my advice doesn't come cheap, you know!) ;)

Cheers,

Dien

Joetrevison February 14, 2007 09:39 AM

I would take the books because I would hope to get off the island and start a business again.

Ok You got something wrong. I am selected of what I buy. I have books on Pr and word of mouth advertising. I heard a tape on sugerman I think. I seen his ads with the calculator and sunglasses, He was that man wasn't he. And Richard Brandson does promotions like a around the world in a ballon. Trump talked about running for President once. He, Trump, screwed up with his fight with Rosie,

I even bought Trump and Robert T. Kiyosaki when I was visiting my daughter and son in law and grandchild in Virginia during Christmas.
I have Dan S. Kennedy stuff and Jay Arbraham tapes and books and video, I have one of Jeff Paul's Course. He was Dan S. Kennedy student. So I like the source more. I Have "You can Hype Anything" by Raleigh Pinskey and some other book by her too. I mentioned those 3 books because when Joe Vitali moved he took those 3 books in the car with him, the many others were in the moving van. So I am not a lone in thinking those 3 books are great.

I like Eugene M Schawrtz stuff I have 3 books of his, Mail Order and Breakthrough advertising and his education book, that book was cheap, you figure.

I have a collection of the Pr that Paul Haurtain did.

That is not all. and I continue reading these things for ideas and businesses concept.