SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wal Mart Used Cars? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3789)

goptl March 11, 2007 12:07 PM

Wal Mart Used Cars?

Don Alm had a post on Dana Carlson's blog about cutting a deal with a local Wal Mart and setting up a FSBO lot on weekends. Is there any other infor out there on how to do this? I love that idea and would appreciate any advice on getting this doing. I live in a city of 40K that has a Super WM and it should work here on weekends.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Dick

mtran2000 March 11, 2007 12:17 PM

Re: Wal Mart Used Cars?

First thing I would do is go to Wal Mart and talk to store manager and see if it is even allowed. Wal Mart corporate policies are strict.

If Wal Mart is a no go then try other places like Lowes or Grocery chains. Use selling point to manager that you will rent space and another advantage to the store that people that stop to look at cars might go into store and buy something.

If you do land a spot to do this then advertise in penny savers about the sale

Mark

Phil March 11, 2007 05:00 PM

Walmart, has considered getting into the used car business on a few different occasions themselves...
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...Sear ch&meta=

I have dealt with Walmart in Canada regarding a few or their parking lots which are Not owned or managed by Walmart but rather a variety of shopping centre real estate and property management companies...

So, all kinds of Deals and Possibilties could be Negotiated and ironed out. :)

Here's some Food for thought that gave me Free access and Use of their parking Lot...

The only Catch...

You have to Figure out a Business that you can run after Store hours and throughout the night. ;)

Here's how you get a Parking Lot on a Free Lease...

You Barter and negotiate in exchange Free Security services by keeping lots of activity happening throughout the night!

Try Brainstorming and you might get yourself...

Into the Free Parking Lot lease business. :)

Phil

Pete Egeler March 11, 2007 05:03 PM

From past experience I'd say unless you're really tight with your local Wal-Mart store manager, your chances are slim & none. Slim just left town!

And, if you approach Lowe's, at the very least you must get an okay from the District Manager for such a venture. I know for a fact they charge you $500 to set up a Hot Dog cart, so it's anyone's guess what you'll pay for other uses.

Good luck! (You might be better off finding a location of a store that's been recently closed, and see if yo can cut a deal with the realtor handling the property.)

Pete

James Anthony March 11, 2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

I know for a fact they charge you $500 to set up a Hot Dog cart, so it's anyone's guess what you'll pay for other uses.

What does that $500 get you?

Is that daily?

I've always been curious about that because I always buy that big polish dog with sauerkraut every time I leave Home Depot or Lowes (which is often a couple times a day - LOL)

If that was a weekly rate, I think it would be a bargain.

Jim

Jason March 11, 2007 05:50 PM

Pete works at Lowes, so I would assume that he knows.

Pete, I would assume that you working at the local Lowes, you would have determined by now that several people that visit the Hotdog cart are regular customers.

Why not offer the operator of the cart a way to pre-sell 10-20 worth of product in advance, via pre-paid cards.

These could be careds that you sell them for a profit.

Jim wouldn't it be better for you if you could give the cart guy $10-$20 once a week, vs. giving him $3-$4 in cash every time you passed him.
I would also wager that the regular clients would, over a period of time, spend more money at the Lowes hotdog stand knowing that they have
a lunch that they have already paid for!
Think about it Pete.
I bet you could figure a way to make a few extra bucks right from the Lowes at which you work.

If you want help, I'm available.
Lets talk,
Jason

mtran2000 March 11, 2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Egeler (Post 14384)
Good luck! (You might be better off finding a location of a store that's been recently closed, and see if yo can cut a deal with the realtor handling the property.)

Pete

Pete that is a really good idea. Only problem I can see is the closed store eventually will get rented and you will be looking for a new space. However by that time some money should have been made from the venture and you can approach operating stores with credibility and cash to use their site.

mtran2000 March 11, 2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Anthony (Post 14385)
What does that $500 get you?

Is that daily?
If that was a weekly rate, I think it would be a bargain.

Jim

If it were $500 daily, there wouldn't be much of a profit for hot dog vendor. I am betting weekly, Pete can you comment on this? I am curious too.

Mark

mtran2000 March 11, 2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 14383)
Walmart, has considered getting into the used car business on a few different occasions themselves...
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...Sear ch&meta=

I have dealt with Walmart in Canada regarding a few or their parking lots which are Not owned or managed by Walmart but rather a variety of shopping centre real estate and property management companies...

So, all kinds of Deals and Possibilties could be Negotiated and ironed out. :)

Here's some Food for thought that gave me Free access and Use of their parking Lot...

The only Catch...

You have to Figure out a Business that you can run after Store hours and throughout the night. ;)

Here's how you get a Parking Lot on a Free Lease...

You Barter and negotiate in exchange Free Security services by keeping lots of activity happening throughout the night!

Try Brainstorming and you might get yourself...

Into the Free Parking Lot lease business. :)

Phil

Wal Mart did indeed test the used car sales business, they tried it at a few locations but last I heard, they scrapped the idea for whatever reasons. I would not be surprised they try again, Wal Mart seems to want to be a one stop location for just about everything.
Mark

Pete Egeler March 11, 2007 06:32 PM

Jason,

The $500 that they were charging was PER MONTH! Not bad in my book but the folks that owned the stand thought it was highway robbery.

Never could figure that out since the lady that owned the carts "claimed" in a conversation we had, that she was making an easy $300-$400 per day. (Clear).

I'll keep an eye out as the weather warms to see if she has a change of heart. In fact, if I could talk my wife into it, I'd try to scrape up the cash to buy my own cart, go ahead and retire, and do that. I KNOW I'd probably make more than I do working for Lowe's. :)

Pete

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 14386)
Pete works at Lowes, so I would assume that he knows.

Pete, I would assume that you working at the local Lowes, you would have determined by now that several people that visit the Hotdog cart are regular customers.

Why not offer the operator of the cart a way to pre-sell 10-20 worth of product in advance, via pre-paid cards.

These could be careds that you sell them for a profit.

Jim wouldn't it be better for you if you could give the cart guy $10-$20 once a week, vs. giving him $3-$4 in cash every time you passed him.
I would also wager that the regular clients would, over a period of time, spend more money at the Lowes hotdog stand knowing that they have
a lunch that they have already paid for!
Think about it Pete.
I bet you could figure a way to make a few extra bucks right from the Lowes at which you work.

If you want help, I'm available.
Lets talk,
Jason