SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Steve Shulenski Around anywhere? :) (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4177)

Bea July 19, 2007 12:55 AM

Steve Shulenski Around anywhere? :)

Quote:

Re: gun shows- How about Money Making Gadgets?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcalister
goodness....

the crowd at the gun show is tremendous ...large ...must really be a dedicated group ?

whatcha think I could market to those guys and gals? except guns ...

we have really been having alot of convention/meetings at the trade show here lately ...and need some ideas on selling sumthing to these guys and gals..

thanks

bob

btw...anyone know anyone within a large corporation marketing department ?

Then Steve Says:

Hi Bob, I know just the thing you are looking for.

I did this at Flea Markets back in 92 - 93 and averaged
several hundred dollars in profits per weekend market.

But gun shows are far better for this than outdoor flea markets.
The guy who I bought all my inventory from is still in business.

His name is Robert Downs and his website is:
http://MoneyMakingGadgets.com

Cheers,

Steve Shulenski
www.PetPhotoBusiness.com
www.PetPhotographyBusiness.com
www.MoneyMakingPhotography.com

Steve, that link is no longer working...do you know where one could purchase that stuff anymore? Years ago (it must've been just after you sold it to him, maybe?) I bought a very small setup from Robert Downs & I remember very well the bright gold pricing papers that he sent with it. I was impressed by that...it really did look nice!
I know that he was buying it from somewhere else & marking the price up, though, b/c it was a BIT high... Let's just say, I thought I could do better, b/c sometimes he'd have for MY price, the price I actually thought it should be selling for, you know?

Can you give any direction now?

I appreciate it!

Thanks,
Bea :)

SteveSki July 19, 2007 09:31 AM

Re: Steve Shulenski Around anywhere? :)

Hi Bea, When I moved to OZ several ago I lost most of the contacts I once had due to a bad hard drive. There must be hundreds of wholesalers and now with the internet you should be able to source it out for yourself without much trouble.

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
www.MaverickPhotographer.com

GordonJ July 19, 2007 09:56 AM

Bea, use my secret weapon, that we International men of mystery use...

Hi Bea,

I have Gadget Bob as one of my favs at my ebay account. I used his Old weekly newsletter as an example in my HOTSHEETS report. I loved gettign those one page newsletters of Gadget Bob's specials.

Anyhow, I see GB has a knife for sale. Now this takes a little time, but go to google and search for knives wholesale, and then liquidation.

Today I found 500 asst. knives at

http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/v...&convertTo=USD

For about a buck or less a piece (with shipping) a person could have 500 knives to sell. GB is selling his for 6.99, which is about 4 dollars LESS than the 'wholesale' price I found for that knife.

Do a search that includes liquidations, closeouts, overstock, importers, to get a wide variety of sources.

Check out http://www.ealliancemaker.com and other sites like it. You might be able to source products yourself.

IF you don't want to buy 500 knives, for example, you might partner up with someone in your area, or another ebay or local seller.

I've just talked to over 200 Flea Market vendors at the HARTVILLE flea market...and I have a pretty good idea who is making the money and who is just getting by. Maybe I should write a HOTSHEET on it.

If anyone is headed toward the HARTVILLE flea market, let me know, maybe we can meet up and I'll let YOU buy ME a cheeseburger, OK?

The secret Bea is the search string you use...try some with quotes on specific products, or go to page 10 on any item and open up 5 sites...not the best deals come up on the first couple of pages...dig deeper and mine gold.

Hope this helps.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Gadget Bob sent me a little thing years ago, I framed it, it says underneath a picture; "Gordon. Be careful or he'll steal your socks and sell them." HA, and I just might too.

GordonJ July 19, 2007 10:20 AM

Steal this idea and get ahead of the pack...

OK.

Here is a variation on a theme. Take a look at what you could get pretty cheap:

http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/v...&convertTo=USD

A mixed lot of MP3 players for around 10 bux each.

10 with 8 GB...15 w 1 GB.

Instead of offering CD's and/or DVD's...that anchor you to a tv or dvd...why not offer your INFORMATION products, especially if you have a little video with it.

Why NOT put it on these devices and sell the things already LOADED with your stuff?

AND if you have resell rights to products, you could have a web site set up where you customers can come and DOWNLOAD right onto their MP3 University...your latest offerings.

This way you KNOW they have the device. It has a high perceived value. You can load it with whatever info or VIDEO you want.

The DELUXE 8 GB could have your 14 DVD's on it. The smaller one could have select video, mp3.

This way a customer could access your information on a plane, a train a bus...at the gym, while walking around. Maybe even put your TIPS to use...say you have a video on How to Buy a Car. WATCH it before you get out of your car at the dealership.

Any IDEAS on this? Thanks.

GJA

PS. This is an example, as I wrote about in one of the reports, on how to use a product as part of YOUR product. Works with books, electronics, etc.

Bea July 19, 2007 04:04 PM

Hahahaahha!!! "Watch out or he'll steal your socks & Sell 'em!!" :D :D

Those are some great points...Gordon, I really enjoyed your examples and ideas! I think you are one of the smartest people I know!

Thank you, I can't wait to dig into your ideas! I remember the little one pagers he used to send out, too. Then, he had a website that was like weekendwork.com or something like that anyway. I was hoping that maybe Steve had an update for us on that. But I understand, Steve. thanks, though - I had computer probs for a while, too & it really can affect your life.

Thanks!

~B

Unregistered July 21, 2007 03:54 PM

>Let's just say, I thought I could do better, b/c sometimes he'd have for MY price, the price I actually thought it should be selling for, you know?<

On the basis of the post here about "Gadget" Bob Downs I visited with him in Arizona last winter. First I met him in his home, then a couple of weeks later I saw him in action at a Gun Show. Bob is a very engaging fellow. What he said about selling his sort of gadgets -- that they sell well -- was correct, at least from what I observed at the show.

I decided not to purchase from Mr. Downs because I didn't think it would be worth my while, with the pricing I would get. His suggested retail price was double what he would sell to me at "wholesale," but from what I have read elsewhere the wholesale price -- as a general rule -- should be at least one third what it can be sold for. I suspected that Bob was marking up the products he supposedly sold at wholesale, but he told me he was selling at his cost. I didn't challenge him on this, in part because he is hard of hearing and it was somewhat difficult to converse. In fact, at the gun show he had his daughter help out because of this problem. I witnessed people often repeating their questions as they crowded around the table, making it appear he was ignoring him. This was before his daughter had arrived. Anyway, in my mind I gave Bob the benefit of the doubt (somewhat), thinking that perhaps his selling to other sellers might enable him to purchase more volume, giving him a better price. Still, the rather slim profit margin, particularly after taking into account shipping and other expenses, did not excite me.

Jerry

Bea July 21, 2007 05:21 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Jerry!:)

I thought that he must be an older fellow b/c well, I guess b/c I first read about him in Stewart Kimes book & he has been around for quite some time, too.

Interesting - Thanks!

B.

gadgetbob July 21, 2007 11:48 PM

Helo again Jerry and hello to you too Bea.

Yep, I'm 78 now and I just bought a new Hearing aid, that will help me on the Gun Shows. I did a Gun show two weeks ago at the State fair grounds and did over $1,000 for the two days. People like gadgets and they are easy to sell.
I also sell everyday on Ebay, including today and my Feedback rating is 99.9% with close to 3,700 sales. Ebay is a LOT easier, just work at my desk
here at home.

I'm going to the big Trade Show in Las Vegas in three weeks. The ASD show
thta's where you find all the real wholesale dealers. Big Big show, something like 3,000 booths, I know I walk my legs off. They have to pay $4,000 for a 10 X 10 space for the 5 days. One of my wholesale accounts has 5 booths
so they pay $20,000 plus for the 5 days.

If I can help anyone...just get in touch....Bob Downs

SteveSki July 22, 2007 03:43 AM

Re: Gadget Bob Rocks!

Hi Bob, You helped me and scores of others to make $1000+ per weekend just by showing your gadgets at Flea Markets and shows. No real selling required... No trying to convince someone they need to buy. Just display the items and they practically sell themselves!

Thanks for always being so helpful.

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
www.MaverickPhotographer.com

Bea July 23, 2007 10:07 PM

Gadget Bob!*!*! You arrived!!! *** :) :)

Hello, Gadget Bob!!! :)

Wow - - it's been a while!!!! It's so good to see you here & doing so well for yourself, too. Business is so much fun, isn't it!!?

I bought my Mom one of those Miracle Ear hearing aids, but you know, it magnified ALL noise, so everyone talking in the room was heard all at once...hope you don't have any problems like that & that you have a GOOD hearing aid.

Good hearing from you, Bob! Keep it up! :)

P.S. Care to say your ebay username? I'd love to visit some of your auctions or your store!