SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are month days people are more willing to spend money on non-priority items? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10800)

MikePT October 20, 2020 06:41 AM

What are month days people are more willing to spend money on non-priority items?

I know this can be a very general question.

However, I am selling non priority items:

- jewlery for women;
- fashion braclets for men.

I am running ADS only at weekends, is when I notice I get better results.

The previous weekend to this past one (the days 10 and 11 October weekend) worked very well for men bracelets fashion.

This last one weekend worked very well for women jewlery.

There is any psychology here? :confused:

My own first impression conclusion:

- Men are worst on managing money, so at the beginning of the month (maybe the beginning of the month is until day 15 or 20 of each month) they do impulse purchases and have some money to spend on secondary items. What is left is what they pay the bills.

- Women are best on managing money, so at the beggining of the month they are more careful, after THEY pay the priority bills and items they spend what is left.

PROS what do you think of this observation?

Thank you.

Dien Rice October 20, 2020 10:58 AM

Why I sell better on some days than others...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41221)

- jewlery for women;

The previous weekend to this past one (the days 10 and 11 October weekend) worked very well for men bracelets fashion.

- Men are worst on managing money, so at the beginning of the month (maybe the beginning of the month is until day 15 or 20 of each month) they do impulse purchases and have some money to spend on secondary items. What is left is what they pay the bills.

- Women are best on managing money, so at the beggining of the month they are more careful, after THEY pay the priority bills and items they spend what is left.

Thank you.

Hi Mike,

Interesting question!

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer...!

I think many of these things can depend on the market...

For example, in my experience, I seem to sell business information more effectively on week days (Monday to Friday) than on the weekend...

However, when I was selling more "fun" items online (like music CDs or DVDs), I believe sales were better on the weekend than on week days...

I think the reason why is people are in a different "mental state" on different days, and it affects how "ready to buy" they are for different products...

Thanks for sharing (and asking), Mike!

Best wishes,

Dien

MikePT October 20, 2020 11:47 AM

Re: What are month days people are more willing to spend money on non-priority items?

Hi Dien,

Thanks for the reply!

There are many variants for sure, the weather for example, raining weekends can be a very good boost fo mail orders, I read it about it on Vic Schwab or on Ben Suarez book.

On an interview (or book?) Joe Sugarman talks about the variants, even I think on Political candidacy or the President, I don't remember exactly.

Thank you.

GordonJ October 23, 2020 01:24 PM

I'm not sure what the data would really say, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41221)

- jewlery for women;

Thank you.

I don't know. Maybe those with a ton of data collected would have some insights, but I can share my observations.

It is different today. Because, of being so connected, ALL THE TIME. I have observed that people of all ages, groups, niches make these kind of purchases more spontaneous than they used to.

Many who work at home, keep either their own computers on, or several windows open, and in between their "work", they shop and get entertained.

Again, no data to support this, but the timing isn't as important as the offer...if someone sees something they want NOW, they buy now. Far less need to wait until payday, or any given time of the month, because of easy payments, credit and bargains.

Oct. 13 and 14, PRIME days sold millions of dollars of stuff, and it doesn't appear to have any time links to it. Just BARGAINS galore.

But any given marketer would have to rely on their own data, if it is deep enough and a sufficient amount to draw conclusions from.

I could be wrong, but if a man or a woman of any age sees a piece of jewelry they want, they will buy it then.

I also think those old mail order rules, laws and methods are of very little use today, other than the math, which is always good to have and use.

Gordon

MikePT October 25, 2020 05:50 PM

Re: What are month days people are more willing to spend money on non-priority items?

Awesome Gordon.

I am relying on my own data. And it's working good.

On the weekend I sell better so I amonly focusing investing on weekends.

Thanks.

Dien Rice October 25, 2020 10:38 PM

The President a "father figure"...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41224)
On an interview (or book?) Joe Sugarman talks about the variants, even I think on Political candidacy or the President, I don't remember exactly.

Hi Mike!

Yes, I read this too from Joe Sugarman... I think it might have been in "Advertising Secrets of the Written Word"...

I remember that Joe Sugarman's theory was that the President of the USA was like a "father figure" to the nation... And so he has strong influence on people's behavior. People follow his example...

I think Sugarman talks about how, in the late 1970s, President Jimmy Carter encouraged people to stop borrowing so much on their credit cards. Some people even cut up their credit cards and sent the pieces to the White House in response!

When Jimmy Carter did that, Joe Sugarman's business plunged - because he was completely reliant on people calling him up and ordering, using their credit card over the phone!

When they weren't spending by using their credit cards, he had no business!

Today, President Trump is mask avoider number 1. He wears them occasionally, but is usually seen mocking people who wear masks. People follow his example, because he's the President, the country's "father figure"... Photos show people packed together without masks at his rallies. There even tend to be increased local coronavirus outbreaks immediately after his rallies...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/3679534001/

Thanks... I think this is an interesting topic... :)

- Dien