SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   In two weeks, my 50th high school class reunion. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10214)

GordonJ August 31, 2018 12:43 PM

In two weeks, my 50th high school class reunion.

We had almost a 1000 in the class, some 782 graduates. Many guys failed back (the draft and Vietnam and all). Anyhow, I've been prepping. Sent out surveys, and I'll write a report.

What do you think are the keys to success? Of course, what is success? I know of several classmates who have done pretty well, (millionaires +) financially, and with professional careers, doctors, lawyers, professors...

And some have raised families, been on adventures around the world.

So, I wondered WHO lived up to their HIGH school futures, you know where they predict what people will do sort of thing. Did the guys who were voted most likely to succeed, succeed? And what does that mean to them.

One classmate, Dennis Gartman, is a TV pundit, often seen on MSNBC and FOX financial shows, he is a well known consultant in commodities. I may pick his brain.

What has the last 50 years been like for many? A roller coaster (I'm predicting more than a few have had that) ride, a disappointment? A tragedy? Unbridled joy and happiness? Any regrets?

Anyone (besides me) starting a new "career" at 68? Mine as a wannabee TV/Movie Content developer. Will I find some financial interest? Maybe some backers?

So, do you have any questions? I will ask those of financial success what, if any "secrets", ideas or concepts they have. And the artists, about their lives, and the doctors, nurses, factory workers...those who have traveled the world and those who have never left the area.

Maybe I will come away with nothing. Maybe a few gold nuggets we all can use. One classmate has made millions from his invention, I hope to get an audience with him and ask about licensing. Another has one of the largest electrical companies in Northeast Ohio, how did he grow so big? How does he beat his competition.

I may ask Dennis about gold (and to get him to laugh) about Crypto.

YOU also have a chance, what lessons of life would you ask of scores of people who have made it to their 50th class reunion? If any.

I'm going to ask everyone I run into if they lived the life they THOUGHT they would when we got our diplomas 50 years ago, or how different it turned out from their expectations. We're going to have a nice turnout, and I'll do a Reader's Digest condensed version of a report...

if,

IF I have anything useful to report. Hope I do.

Gordon (Old Man) Alexander

Dien Rice September 8, 2018 04:27 AM

What some of my classmates ended up doing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39327)
We had almost a 1000 in the class, some 782 graduates. Many guys failed back (the draft and Vietnam and all). Anyhow, I've been prepping. Sent out surveys, and I'll write a report.

What do you think are the keys to success? Of course, what is success? I know of several classmates who have done pretty well, (millionaires +) financially, and with professional careers, doctors, lawyers, professors...

And some have raised families, been on adventures around the world.

So, I wondered WHO lived up to their HIGH school futures, you know where they predict what people will do sort of thing. Did the guys who were voted most likely to succeed, succeed? And what does that mean to them.

Hi Gordon,

Sounds fascinating!

I admit to sometimes Googling my old school classmates... One guy - who was a "tough kid" at a school I went to in Australia - dropped out of school. Then he became a butcher. Then he went to jail (not sure what for). His Twitter handle is "@felonXXXXX" (I've purposely left out the "X" parts). He's out of jail now - but I have no plans to contact him... (We were never friends, but we were never enemies either.)

A school friend of mine (from another school I went to) became a playwright and play director - though he couldn't do it full time. He won the Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award a few years ago for one of the plays he directed... (We got back in touch and rekindled our friendship!)

Another girl I knew at school ended up winning the Ms Natural Olympia world title (a natural, drug-free body building competition). Amazing! (Not in touch with her at present, though...)

Another girl I knew from school ended up becoming a full time screever - that's a chalk pavement artist. She does commissioned works, and also does various festivals... (We're still in touch...)

I ended up going to 3 elementary schools, and 3 high schools...! (My family moved around a lot.)

Of course, some people avoid reunions for this reason - they're worried about the comparison. Of course, when you've done dozens of different things (like many on this forum), you can just pick the one or two you want to talk about, so it's not an issue...! :)

Looking forward to your update!

Best wishes,

Dien