SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who "owns" an event?... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7778)

-TW October 29, 2011 05:56 AM

Who "owns" an event?...

I'm thinking of starting a local event (2, actually).

I don't care if it makes money the 1st couple of times (annual event). I need help from organizers, who would also be volunteers (no one gets paid, not even me). But at some point the event WOULD start making $$ (I hope).

How do I make sure *I* "own" the event? What's stopping someone else from just taking over + "hijacking" the entire entity?

Anyone here have any experience with this?

Please advise.

Thanks!

-- TW

Dien Rice October 29, 2011 06:17 AM

Re: Who "owns" an event?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by -TW (Post 29396)
I'm thinking of starting a local event (2, actually).

I don't care if it makes money the 1st couple of times (annual event). I need help from organizers, who would also be volunteers (no one gets paid, not even me). But at some point the event WOULD start making $$ (I hope).

How do I make sure *I* "own" the event? What's stopping someone else from just taking over + "hijacking" the entire entity?

Hi TW,

If the name of your event is unique, then you can trademark the name.

You could also trademark any unique mascots or other unique symbols you might use to help promote the event.

You could also look into protection regarding "trade dress" - which is the "look and feel" of something. You can protect the trade dress of documents related to the event (such as promotional documents), if they have a distinctive look and feel. You might even be able to protect the "trade dress" of the event itself - if it is sufficiently unique. I know that you can protect the "look and feel" of a restaurant - such as the color scheme used, for example - so I don't see why that couldn't apply to a festival (though keep in mind I am not a legal professional).

Any materials you produce can also be protected under copyright laws as well.

To my understanding, trademarks and trade dress have to be registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office in order to have any legal force.

Anyway, those are some ideas off the cuff... Hopefully, it is helpful. :)

Disclaimer: I ain't no legal professional, and you should go see one if you want proper legal-type advice!

Best wishes,

Dien

-TW October 29, 2011 06:40 AM

Thanks Dien!

I saw an event (on the news) that is basically making the breaking of a Guinness world record, into an event. When I saw this, I thought the record would be EASY to break! So, I want to make an event locally that would get press because it would break the current record. Then it could be done annually. Could get sponsors, etc. over time.

Note: the particular record this is about is, definitely VISUAL! (TV news - friendly)

Cheers.

-- TW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 29397)
Hi TW,

If the name of your event is unique, then you can trademark the name.

You could also trademark any unique mascots or other unique symbols you might use to help promote the event.

You could also look into protection regarding "trade dress" - which is the "look and feel" of something. You can protect the trade dress of documents related to the event (such as promotional documents), if they have a distinctive look and feel. You might even be able to protect the "trade dress" of the event itself - if it is sufficiently unique. I know that you can protect the "look and feel" of a restaurant - such as the color scheme used, for example - so I don't see why that couldn't apply to a festival (though keep in mind I am not a legal professional).

Any materials you produce can also be protected under copyright laws as well.

To my understanding, trademarks and trade dress have to be registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office in order to have any legal force.

Anyway, those are some ideas off the cuff... Hopefully, it is helpful. :)

Disclaimer: I ain't no legal professional, and you should go see one if you want proper legal-type advice!

Best wishes,

Dien

Bozo October 29, 2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -TW (Post 29396)

Anyone here have any experience with this?
-- TW

I have no experience with this specifically, but I do have an opinion.

I think you'd have a real problem finding someone to take it over, much less steal it from you.

Why not try to find a sponsor right off the bat, like a company who makes weenies for a hotdog eating contest, for example. Get your city council in on the thing and let them organize and run it.

Meanwhile, you secure your position as the prime concessions contractor, or marketing and advertising director, or some such profitable position.

If you're worried about someone stealing your ideas, you'll never get anywhere. That's my opinion. Yeah, I've got one of those too. :p

Ankesh October 30, 2011 02:06 AM

So I've had some experience with events.

You can own the name of the event.
You can't own the format.

(I would recommend against trademarking look and feel because just a tiny change in the look and feel can circumvent your trademark.)

However, if your first event is a hit - you can set it up so that you can license your event name.

Thats what TED.com ended up doing. They saw that many folks were starting their own TED type events where each presentation is 18 minutes long. So instead, they created a licensing deal. You can organize TEDx[event] instead of your own [event]. They will help you with organizing. And you in return help them become even more popular.

So only 2 things you can do to safeguard yourself:

1. Register your event name into an LLC.
2. Make sure your first event is a hit.

Nothing else will help.

Phil October 30, 2011 11:45 PM

Event promoters are Entrepreneurs on a Roller Coaster, Smart Event Marketing Ride! ..

Dig Around into Google... Scan, Read, Study, Learn, Borrow...

Simply! ... Smart & Brilliant ideas Just About [Everywhere] You Look these Days! ...

No Money made Worrying about Every Last Thing... :)

Just Go For It! ... Take Action and Make it Happen! ...

Guaranteed Ownership... ;)

Quick Smart, Brilliant and Cool resources... :cool:
http://www.cvent.com/en/sem/social-m...FUZ-5QodvDPRpw

WHERE BRILLIANT EVENTS BEGIN...
http://canadianspecialevents.com/cse...s-Dec-2010.pdf

Phil

-TW October 31, 2011 04:13 AM

Guinness connection (record) is the ONLY reason (excuse) to have this event! (DNO)

for Gordon