SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A great "Internet Marketing" experience was had (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9526)

bryanz June 13, 2016 01:23 PM

A great "Internet Marketing" experience was had

Hey everyone.

Wanted to share a great internet marketing experience that I think most folks in here will appreciate.

Recently, the drive cable on my lawnmower became frayed and I wanted to replace it.

I did a search on google for my mower make and drive cable.

On the first page of results, the number 2 organic spot was a youtube video titled "Lawn Mower Traction Control Cable Replacement."

Well, how about them bananas? I could have probably figured it out on my own (being a bit of a handyman already), but I figured what the hell, i might as well watch it. Maybe I will learn something new.

Low and behold, I did learn a small something, AND at the end of the video, they mentioned the link in the description to buy the part.

Boom. Click. Add to cart. Pay. Done.

$25 and a week later I receive the part shipped to me and go about replacing it on my mower (took all of 5 minutes).

And that, friends, is the beautiful power of the internet, especially in the power of videos on the internet.

I now will give a 5 star rating to RepairClinic.com

2835 videos on their youtube channel.

GordonJ June 28, 2016 08:00 PM

Youtube is amazing.

It has become my "go to" search engine. The things you'll find on youtube, once you get past grumpy cats, laser chasing kitties, puppies opening gifts and teen girls giving make up tips...

there is some amazing opportunities to learn things, which can save and make you money as well as simplify your searches.

Thanks for the reminder.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanz (Post 36760)
Hey everyone.

Wanted to share a great internet marketing experience that I think most folks in here will appreciate.

Recently, the drive cable on my lawnmower became frayed and I wanted to replace it.

I did a search on google for my mower make and drive cable.

On the first page of results, the number 2 organic spot was a youtube video titled "Lawn Mower Traction Control Cable Replacement."

Well, how about them bananas? I could have probably figured it out on my own (being a bit of a handyman already), but I figured what the hell, i might as well watch it. Maybe I will learn something new.

Low and behold, I did learn a small something, AND at the end of the video, they mentioned the link in the description to buy the part.

Boom. Click. Add to cart. Pay. Done.

$25 and a week later I receive the part shipped to me and go about replacing it on my mower (took all of 5 minutes).

And that, friends, is the beautiful power of the internet, especially in the power of videos on the internet.

I now will give a 5 star rating to RepairClinic.com

2835 videos on their youtube channel.

bryanz July 13, 2016 12:45 PM

Re: A great "Internet Marketing" experience was had

That is interesting, because I agree with it being one of my favorite search engines. i tend to want to learn things on my own, and there is no better place I can imagine that gives you the access and reach like youtube.

now, I also find that sometimes it is hard to sift through all of duds to get to the good videos. This is where I see opportunity if you can wedge into it.

creating a helpful video channel of your own where you go through the good videos on a topic and post only the best ones on your site might go a long ways.

topics I can think of that interest me: barbecuing or grilling, woodworking, cooking. The list could go on forever.

the key is making sure you are only posting the good one.

build an email list. find highly relevant offers that the audience will like. it might just work. well, I shouldn't say that, I know it works. a past acquaintance uses sites like these to serve adsense ads. only problem there is Big Goorilla is paying out less and less these days. That's why it makes more sense to find relevant offers or create your own in my humble opinion.

definitely would love to hear your thoughts on this Mr. Alexander.

TSpencer July 13, 2016 03:11 PM

Youtube as a learning site IS amazing! I've used it to learn how to:

Install a new exterior door.
How to make a tv/video cabinet.
Put on a new snow blower carb.
Attach a diverter in HVAC vents.

Many others I don't recall. The reason, I think, is that being SHOWN something (watching someone do it), is much more effective than reading about it.

A wonderful tool!

Tim

Dien Rice July 14, 2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanz (Post 36816)
now, I also find that sometimes it is hard to sift through all of duds to get to the good videos. This is where I see opportunity if you can wedge into it.

creating a helpful video channel of your own where you go through the good videos on a topic and post only the best ones on your site might go a long ways.

topics I can think of that interest me: barbecuing or grilling, woodworking, cooking. The list could go on forever.

build an email list. find highly relevant offers that the audience will like. it might just work. well, I shouldn't say that, I know it works. a past acquaintance uses sites like these to serve adsense ads. only problem there is Big Goorilla is paying out less and less these days. That's why it makes more sense to find relevant offers or create your own in my humble opinion.

Hi Bryanz,

Wow, that's a good idea!

I've heard of people making videos to promote their business - which of course is a good idea...

But creating a high-quality focused channel of existing videos (which were created by others) - that could be a great idea too! (And also easier to do...)

Certain worth testing...

Thanks for sharing the idea... I think I'll test it out... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice July 14, 2016 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSpencer (Post 36817)
Youtube as a learning site IS amazing! I've used it to learn how to:

Install a new exterior door.
How to make a tv/video cabinet.
Put on a new snow blower carb.
Attach a diverter in HVAC vents.

Many others I don't recall. The reason, I think, is that being SHOWN something (watching someone do it), is much more effective than reading about it.

A wonderful tool!

Hi Tim,

I agree with you, for many things, nothing beats SEEING it being done in front of your eyes!

Some things can't be described well... Even with pictures...

I do prefer to read some things - where a video doesn't add too much... (Like more "conceptual" or "strategy" stuff...) That's because I can read faster than the person can speak...

But, where something needs to be SHOWN - well, I agree, it's hard to beat video...! :)

- Dien

GordonJ July 14, 2016 10:09 AM

My thoughts. TIME intensive.

As for the Mr. Alexander; Gordon, Jay or sh&tbird will do, thanks.

The idea has a couple of problems, first is the time spent separating the good and not so good. Then there could be copyright issues, unless you get permission and then, most good ones will have their own monetization in place and may or may not welcome you to the pot.

Maybe refine the idea. Find the most popular. The most watched in a niche, and create your own. Anyone with a grill and a camera could create a BBQ video, and could tap into that market by getting it out there. Sure there are 10,001 but add personality or sizzle to your video and tap into it.

I'd be inclined to niche it down, ie., cooking...pan cookies. Don't see a lot of those. Cookies are huge, but how to make a microwave cookie, or a pan fried or no bake cookie or an easy nutritious granola; without sugar, salt or flour.

See, these are niches but huge markets. Diabetics. Gluten free. IBS or diverticulosis (which puts me in THAT niche).

I'd want to create my own channel with my own videos, and eliminate potential problems. Find a popular subject, a video with a lot of views and analyze what makes it so popular, then do a better job than the other guys.

GordonJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanz (Post 36816)
That is interesting, because I agree with it being one of my favorite search engines. i tend to want to learn things on my own, and there is no better place I can imagine that gives you the access and reach like youtube.