SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dien... I need your help! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2356)

Ricky Higgs March 3, 2002 07:28 AM

Dien... I need your help!

Hi Dien,

While we are on the subject of "Cold fusion", "Einstein's refrigerator" and some scientific threads of recent, this has prompted me to ask your advice as a Physicist.

A friend of mine has asked if I would like to help him distribute a product he has invested heavily in over the last few years.

He has production all ready to go in mainland China for his product but is unsure which Australian industries to approach that may be interested in buying it.

The product is "heat tubes", made out of aluminium and filled with a special gas.
They can be manufactured to order in any length and in any diameter from a quarter inch to an inch or more.

The tubes are sealed at both ends, and when one end is placed in something cold or hot, the temperature is transmitted down the tube to the other end.

To illustrate what these tubes can do, my friend gave me two quarter inch diamter tubes, both about 2 feet in length to hold in my hands.

One tube was an ordinary hollow aluminium tube, while the other was his special "heat tube" as described above.

He then made me place the other ends of both tubes in a cup of boiling water.

Within seconds, I could not hold the "heat tube" at the other end two feet away from the heat source!... The tube conducted the heat from the boiling water so fast up the entire length of the tube it almost burnt my hand!

The hollow tube of the same length I was holding in my other hand got nowhere as near as hot and I was able to hold it for serval minutes before it got too hot to hold.

Now my question is....

Assuming my friend can manufacture and supply these heat tubes at a viable and marketable cost....

What industries do you feel we should approach who would be most likely to be interested in them?

Do you feel there would be a good market for them?

Warmest Regards & $uccess

Ricky Higgs

Dien Rice March 3, 2002 01:19 PM

I'm not sure...

Hi Ricky,

I don't know off-hand who might use these.... It's more of an "industrial" question than a physics one.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

- Dien

Dien Rice March 3, 2002 01:22 PM

The best answer I can think of...

Ricky,

The best answer I can think of off-hand is definitely to ask as widely as possible.

As long as you don't tell how it works, your friend should be safe, I think, that no-one can "steal" his product.

- Dien

Laura Lee Wolter March 3, 2002 05:18 PM

heat tubes

> What industries do you feel we should
> approach who would be most likely to be
> interested in them?

Some vague thoughts -- any industry that requires cooling -- dispersal of generated heat -- cars, computers, etc. (They're experimenting with water cooled computers -- heat tube cooled ones would likely weigh less than water cooled ones.)

More efficient home heating systems.... We have pipes with sharp aluminum fins for heat dispersal -- the 'heat tube' sounds much more efficient.

Wouldn't they also make solar collectors more efficient?

-Laura Lee Wolter
CyberNiche Software
http://www.cniche.com/
[email protected]

CyberNiche Software

Michael Ross March 5, 2002 01:18 AM

From marketing 101 we get

Find a need/want and fill it.
Solve people's problems BEFORE creating the product.
Etc., etc., etc.

So at first this whole process seems backasswards (DONism)

But after letting the concept stew for a day, there could be some very lucrative markets...

> What industries do you feel we should
> approach who would be most likely to be
> interested in them?

First. Anyone that needs heating, right?

How would all those European and US sporting fields react to being able to quickly and easily melt the snow that gathers on the field???

Think of the saving in power just from pumping all the hot water through the water pipes that many use. Power saving heating the water too.

Following on that concept... heated floor systems. INSTANT HEAT instead of the current slow heating methods. Plenty of places in and around Melbourne and Vic (Sale, for example) as well as Tassy.

Then we have the food industry. And in particular, ANYONE that needs to do pasturising through a 'Heat Exchanger' - looks like a big radiator. This could be a very cost effective way for them to do it. And there would be no chance of the heated water breaking through a fin and contaminating the food.

And if you get it very cost effective, I could see a vast underground network melting the snow in footpaths all over the US. And people could also use the system to keep their driveway clear.

In the roof of every Snow Field Resort building?

All the while I'm thinking - instead of carting water from the river to the village, build the pipes and charge the villages for the instant water (story from Robert Kiyosaki I believe).

Solar heating pool water?

Hope this helps some.

Michael Ross.

Ricky Higgs March 5, 2002 06:47 AM

Michael thanks for the ideas, much appreciated (DNO) (DNO)