SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A change of scene... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4208)

Sandi Bowman July 28, 2007 05:12 PM

A change of scene...

This site has been largely static for several days now with the same thread/post displaying so figured it was due for a change of scenery. So....

What do you think of CNN's heroes series? I went there and tried to actually view and learn something about/from their heroes and all I got was one static picture with some hard to read text here and there. Disappointing to say the least. The first time, last week, when I viewed one of their heroes things they had a story with pictures and it actually said something useful. Comments?

Some of them might be great lead-ins and ideas for take offs for business ideas, IMHO...but not if you can't learn anything from them except a face and pieces of the puzzle.

Sandi Bowman

MichaelRoss July 28, 2007 07:21 PM

Television Show Marketing Ploys

Sandi,

Thanks for asking about Heroes.

I can Proudly say I have ever watched an episode of...

Heroes,

Desperate Housewives,

Prison Break (some people I know have Missed episodes and were asking everyone they knew if they'd Taped it!),

Lost (watched a couple of episodes a month or so ago, and they didn't grill my schnitzel),

Torchwood (a Doctor Who spin off named as an Anagram of Doctor Who - really getting pushed down here, so maybe it's not doing as well as they'd hoped),

Ally McBeal (sp?),

Dawson Creek,

Boston Public,

NYPD Blue,

Hill Street Blues,

BayWatch (is that even still going?)

And so on and so forth.

I have noticed something ALL the networks down here are now doing. And that is, running their shows a minute or two over time.

So say there is something you'd want to see which runs After Heroes. You flick to the channel at the Advertised Time only to see the Tail End of Heroes. A tricky ploy to try to get you Hooked in the show, as the tail end is always a Cliff Hanger end.

They do it not only on those Major series, but also the dumb soaps. And that means, Neighbours and Home & Away down here. As well as the so-called Current Affair shows - right where they tell you what they have on tomorrow.

Any other tricky ploys you see the networks doing?

Michael Ross

Sandi Bowman July 28, 2007 08:40 PM

Re: A change of scene...

I was referring to their 'new' series on the Internet CNN wherein they interview, show pictures, and tell about an unsung hero who is helping to change the world (or their part of it) for the better in some way. People doing good things, basically. At least that's how it started out. Not sure what's going on now, tho' as it appears to have changed format or something.

I haven't watched television, except briefly if something is on in the store that's worth watching for about 5 or l0 minutes, in many years. Our TV used to be used for watching movies via VCR but now we watch DVD's on the computer so even that use for it is kaput.

Obviously I have no knowledge of most of the other stuff you wrote about as a result of no TV viewing.

Thanks for the response, however, Michael.

Sandi

MichaelRoss July 28, 2007 10:29 PM

Whoopsy

Sandi,

Thanks for clarifying :)

Whoopsy! HA!!

I thought it was the TV show Heroes, which recently started down here and is about Normal people who develop SuperHero like abilities - that's what I garner from the few ads I've seen but I could be wrong.

Other than Rugby League and Aussie Rules (as background), Idol and Star Dancing (as background) and that funny show with Sheriff John Burnell called Wildest Police Videos, TV is a non starter for me.

Sure I Pick UP on the Outrage reporting of the media about this or that to Polarize the people. So I Find Out stuff by osmosis, so to speak.

I find, if you Avoid the so-called News you are Not disadvantaged in any way and your life is Not Detrimentally Effected. And people sometimes look at me strange when they are trying to relate some item which was in the news - a Big item - of which I have no knowledge. If they ask me about it and I tell them there is no point to the news because the events reported have Zero effect on Your Life, they get all on the defensive about it. Odd.

Michael Ross
www.hotsheets.info - better than TV

Phil July 29, 2007 01:01 AM

Sandi,

Not exactly on the same Topic but as far as great lead-ins and ideas for take offs for business ideas...

There's a few interesting one's that are “Twistable” into Local and maybe some other Niche areas & Possibilities... :)

A nice Quick info slide show...

Copy & paste the URL's and you're off to Do a little Brainstorming and Creative Thinking...

(31)* of the World's hottest startups...

Best business ideas in the World...

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...eb_world.biz2/

And it's Ok to Share and Talk about all those Hidden business ideas... ;)

Phil

Unregistered July 29, 2007 08:06 PM

Re: Television Show Marketing Ploys

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 16335)

I have noticed something ALL the networks down here are now doing. And that is, running their shows a minute or two over time.

So say there is something you'd want to see After Heroes. You flick to the channel at the Advertised Time only to see the Tail End of Heroes. A tricky ploy to try to get you Hooked in the show, as the tail end is always a Cliff Hanger end.

They do it not only on those Major series, but also the dumb soaps. And that means, Neighbours and Home & Away down here. As well as the so-called Current Affair shows - right where they tell you what they have on tomorrow.

Michael Ross

This may be one reason, however, a large reason is ...........

TIVO

MichaelRoss July 30, 2007 07:24 AM

Ain't TIVO

TIVO isn't available in Australia.

Just because someone can Record a show doesn't justify the show running over time.

Michael Ross

Ankesh July 31, 2007 03:57 AM

Sandi,

You may like reading this:
http://www.invisibleheroes.com/archive.asp

Joetrevison July 31, 2007 10:58 AM

Try MNBC it has "The Millionaire mind, with some great guest. Including Robert Kiyosaki and yet they have Susy Orman who writes and talks about money too on Saturday night too with her own show. And it is a great show.

Sandi Bowman July 31, 2007 12:05 PM

WOW! Some great leads and info, folks. Thanks!

I'm never at a loss (well, seldom) for ideas. Been accused of being a one-woman idea machine :D but I know lots of folks who have major problems with idea generation so the info will come in handy (and save me some time).

Ankesh, that site gives me goosebumps and heart springs. Thanks!

Sandi Bowman