SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Valentines Day Money Ideas? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9060)

Tyronewilliams February 9, 2015 11:11 AM

Valentines Day Money Ideas?

Hello everyone, im Tyrone Williams and im new here.

Valentines Day is this Saturday and I don't have a Valentine but I would like to make some money?.. Does anyone have any ideas how to make some money on this day? Im pretty sure I can do just about anything.

Thanks

-Tyrone

Steve MacLellan February 10, 2015 09:21 AM

Re: Valentines Day Ideas

See:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...&ir=Weird+News

Regards,
Steve

Dien Rice February 10, 2015 03:07 PM

That's one wacky list!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan (Post 34475)

Heheh... Thanks for posting that, Steve!

Those are some pretty wacky ideas! :)

(Yet fun to read!)

My beloved will be very surprised when she receives her present from that list... of anti-wrinkle cream made from earthworm poop!

(If I see an angry look in her eye, I'll just say... It was suggested by Steve! ;) )

Best wishes,

Dien

Steve MacLellan February 10, 2015 03:14 PM

Re: Valentines Day Money Ideas?

Ha! Being the Star Trek fan that I am... I would opt for the Klingon Blood Wine :-)

Regards,
Steve

Don Alm February 10, 2015 06:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
However......my wife knows how much I LOVE "Extra Crispy Fries" .....she'd probably go for the "Fries Panties".....(she also knows how much MY Double-Chins LOVE those fries.....so I can "kill two birds with 1 rock")

Now.....back to the Topic at hand; Here's a guy asking a "legit" question; "HOW can someone make money on Valentines Day?"

I remember back in my college days.....me and a Frat Brother got a List of "CO-EDS" (female college students) ......sent the parents a PostCard offering to DELIVER their Daughter/s a Heart-Shaped box of chocolates with a note attached (we showed a Photo of the Box we got from Walgreen's)...and, GOT SWAMPED WITH ORDERS!

So.....this started me on my journey OFF of Engineering and towards Marketing and Promotion. I KNEW I had THIS kinda stuff....in me!

So.....back to Feb 2015. Today is Tuesday, Feb 10, 2015.....THREE DAYS til Saturday....VALENTINE'S DAY!

WHAT TO DO.....HOW to make some bux....."capitalizing" on the Marketing and Promotional Influence that Valentine's Day has on our culture.

I "look at a question" with my "discerning eyes" relating to "making money";
WHO will pay me? WHY will they pay me? How much will they pay me?

So.....I just came from a meeting with a Real Estate AGENT who happens to have her own WebSite. She has 3 people on her "Team" and is one of the top sellers in our market area.

Her "team" gets lots of listings BUT.....she'd love to get lots more because she knows "popularity does not last forever"1 (Wise woman)

So....I know she does NOT use "QR Codes" in her biz so.....I showed her a photo of someone using a QR Code on their "FOR SALE SIGNS"!

I told her I could provide her with "Signs with QR CODES" that take visitors to her ONLINE properties.

She went GaGA!

So.....my "Valentine's Day Inquisitor" as to HOW to make some BUX related to Valentine's Day.....I offered my Real Estate Gal a "VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT" of a FREE .....SIGN .....with a QR CODE that connects to HER website!
(see attached)

YOU could offer "SIGNS with QRCODES" to local RE Agents as a "Valentine's Day GIFT" from little ol' YOU! (Then.....use the 1st one to be a Testimonial to other RE Agents. Heck....in my small town of 20,000 there's over 500 Agents!!!!!!!)

And.....as another Money-Making Idea......MOST small businesses do NOT have a "Connection" to THEIR WEBSITES! on their biz cards other then a
"TEXT" line!

So.....what I did wasto take a sheet of 10 Biz Cards on a sheet.....put in a QRCode that directsto their site .....send to my printer to make me ONE Copy on a "Glossy" and cut out the 10 cards and.....I proceeded to visit each of the 10 biznesses......telling them I am offering a way for them to contact prospects just by handing out biz cards.

I asked each prospect to "SCAN" this Code with their Phone.....and....when they did....UP came their website.

Well what "I" would do is.....walk into each of the 10 biz I had made a QR Code for (the directs to their website)......show the "Mnager" what I've done and.....would they beinterested in have these CODES on THEIR phones....with a Special Valentine's Day offer of 1 Free?

Thus.....my friend, looking for "ways to make money on Valentine's Day".... theres HUNDREDS of possibilities!

Don Alm......Long-Time "Possibility-Thinker"......Happy Valentine's Day

Don Alm February 10, 2015 09:23 PM

Re: For Tyrone....

Hey Ty..........excuse me, I got carried away above. Here's what I have done and what I suggest YOU do in the next 3 days till Valentines Day.

1) Go to Staples and buy a pack of Business Cards to print on (comes in 10 on a sheet with each perforated)
2) Pull up a Graphic Editor (I use MSPublisher) (A free one is "Serif Page Plus") and create a Page with 10 squares to fit in 10 "mockups" you make by right-clicking on photos and Logos on the 10 websites YOU chose, and putting them in the spaces along with contact info AND.....a QRCode that directs to their website. (You can find FREE QRCODE creators online)
3) Save as a PDF and email to a local copy shop and ask them to print 3 copies on 100lb Glossy Stock. Then cut the 10 cards out in biz card size 2 x 3.5
4) Go visit each biz you chose. Ask to see owner or manager telling them you'd like to show them a way to reach MORE prospects. Bring up their Card and ask someone in the office to "Scan" the Code. Then....point to the Image of THEIR website on the Phone.

5) When the "check-writer" asks "How Much".....I say, "$190 for 500 Cards with $95 deposit and $95 when delivered.....if I get 3 or more orders I give you 1 Free!...as a Valentine's Day Gift"

Now ... before I go into my first prospect's business I make up 2 Cards as "Demos" to show my first prospect.

I think vistaprint has good prices on 500 Cards.....around $25 fpr 500.

Go up to YELP and find 10 businesses that have websites

Don Alm February 10, 2015 09:36 PM

Also.....one of my "Students" has been selling these Cards by making up "Demo Cards" and emailing them to prospects. Not as many orders per contact BUT.....many more contacts per day.....especially with RE Agents.

Don Alm

Don Alm February 11, 2015 03:30 PM

Hey Tyrone......with this Short Notice.....you can eliminate any "digital" ways of making money. What you're wanting is "CASH-IN-HAND" and....the only way I know to get "Instant-Cash-In-Hand" is by MAKING PERSONAL CONTACT WITH PEOPLE WHO CAN GIVE YOU MONEY!!!!!

So.....today is Weds the 11th of Feb....you only have a short time to TRY to Cash-In on the "Valentines Day" EXPO!

I don't know How Much Money you're looking to receive in 3 days by "taking advantage of this Special Day"! It was created by the Florist Industry FOR Florists"...... but.....I do NOT think YOU can put together a "money-making program" in this time frame.....unless YOU can come up with some Promo related to Flowers or Gifts.

So.....with that in mind.....allow me to regress to 1991 when my wife opened her Antique Shoppe in our downtown.

On Jan 20 of that year, I got one of my "Hot Flashes" to create a "Valentine Value Week" promotion .....where any retailer could post a Special Deal for Valentine's Week.

I printed Posters that could be stuck on windows...and A-Frame signs.

In fact, I got the whole downtown involved with Special Deals to come downtown.

HOWEVER.....your claim of; "Im pretty sure I can do just about anything"
......is NOT factual".....in MY estimation! Excuse me for being Blunt!

YOU do NOT offer any of your "talents" as PROOF that "you can do just about anything" or.....any reason why anyone should pay attention to your PLEA!

In my post above.....I ASSUMED you at least had some knowledge of Sales or Marketing (Hey....that's what this Forum is about.....right!)

However....on re-looking, you come across as a guy who's been laid off of a dishwashing JOB! So....I'm sorry BUT....I "forget myself" sometimes (in my efforts to offer HELP) and believe that MOST posters HERE have some kind
of "background success" on which to draw upon to go forward into unknown waters.

Sorry for my Assumptions!

Don Alm......done LOTS and PROUD OF IT

Don Alm February 11, 2015 04:13 PM

Hey!!!.. I just came back from a trip to Starbucks for my favorite caffeine drink and on the way and back....I saw THREE.....I repeat....3 .....guys on 3 different street corners.....offering FLOWERS FOR SALE.

I went back around the block and bought a dozen roses from 1 guy AND.... asked if he was connected to the other guys. He said "No! He was just doing his OWN Thing to make a few bux on Valentine's Day, cause he's been outa work for 6 mos!" (YEA Obama!)

I told him I'm a local Marketing & Promotion guy and.....would he mind if I offered a way he could sell LOTS more of his flowers? He responded with, "YOU Kidding ME! I'm "on my last legs"! ANY SUPPORT would help!"

So.....I told him that the LOCAL retail shops and business offices would LOVE to have someone come into their biz and offer .....VALENTINE'S DAY FLOWERS!

So.....because I am a "DOER".....I told him to grab about 12 bunches of flowers and come with me.....let your wife stay and man the spot. He agreed and we walked across the street where there was an Insurance Biz (with 9 employees and 1 boss)

I opened the door and told the receptionist that WE are offering a "Special Valentine's Day Deal" of 1 dozen for X$ BUT....3 dozen for X$-.......!

When I began handing bunches of flowers to the folks in the office (I didn't care whether they were interested in flowers or not...I just handed them to each person)....and each and everyone....ALWAYS bent their heads down and TOOK A WHIFF, after receiving them .....and suggesting that they ALL knew someone who would LOVE to get a bunch of flowers.....the place went bonkers!

We sold 22 bunches of flowers AND.....this got the Flower-Guy so excited he "gave me a BIG HUG"! (I Work For Hugs!) and.....he proceeded to go down the street selling his flowers to local biznesses!

So.....once again....."money-making" ideas are ALL AROUND!

I'll check back on Sat afternoon to see how he did!

Don Alm.....Idea Guy

Don Alm February 11, 2015 05:27 PM

WOW! I just came back from visiting with my Valentine Day flower guy and.... grabbed a bunch of flowers from his stand and went over to the local TV Channel offices and......started handing flower bunches to everyone..!

The first reaction to someone handing you a batch of flowers is.....to look at them and.....SMELL them!

Windup.....once again my "ALREADY DONE" philosophy is proven.

In fact. most of the folks I handed a bouquet to.....BOUGHT....and also bought an extra bunch!

Result being.....HEy! Make contact with a local Nursery or Florist.....see what they will sell a doz to you IF you buy X. Buy a bunch and GO OUT AND SELL EM! THEN COME BACK AND BUY MORE!

I just phoned a guy I know in the town north of me (pop 7,000) and I asked about the "kid" who comes in every Valentine's Day, Easter, 4th of July and XMas and orders a BIG Bunch of flowers and I asked if "the Kid" is going ahead" this year.....and the response was, "Yup! And...more orders this year!

So.....just imagine this for a moment; "You hand someone a bunch of flowers. What's the first thing that person does! Yup! They SMELL them! So....take advantage of this "psychological response event" in ALL your Sales efforts.

People are TIRED of being "Bull****ted To!" GIVE them the "Result" instead of "Promising" the Result! If they still reject your offer....go to someone else!

Don Alm......Deliverer