SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thinking on Doing Market Research Observing People On Shopping Malls (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10814)

MikePT November 1, 2020 07:06 AM

Thinking on Doing Market Research Observing People On Shopping Malls

Pros,

I am thinking on starting doing "manually" market research simply going and observing people on Shopping MAlls. Observing and taking notes.

I find it boring to study data, and to be frankly I don't know where I get data to do market research. Beside google keywords , google trends and amazon comments of customers. And listed best-sellers products on websites shops.

I rely on my own testing.

Here in Portugal there isn't such thing as SRDS (standard rate and data service).

Example: for men fashion bracelets, looking for "avatars" and watch them. Going to stores that sell similar products and watch customers on the shop.

Your opinion?

Dien Rice November 4, 2020 01:34 AM

Observing and getting to know your customer - I'd say it's good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41279)
Pros,

I am thinking on starting doing "manually" market research simply going and observing people on Shopping MAlls. Observing and taking notes.

I find it boring to study data, and to be frankly I don't know where I get data to do market research. Beside google keywords , google trends and amazon comments of customers. And listed best-sellers products on websites shops.

Here in Portugal there isn't such thing as SRDS (standard rate and data service).

Example: for men fashion bracelets, looking for "avatars" and watch them. Going to stores that sell similar products and watch customers on the shop.

Your opinion?

Hi Mike,

I think a lot of people have been recently obsessed with the US election! (I know I've been!)

I think it's a good idea to go out and observe the behavior of your potential customers...

Now, admittedly, that's not something I've done (and it's probably hard for me to do it in the "real world" because of who my customers are)... But I do think it's a good idea...

It's also a way to get insights into stocks, according to stock market "guru" Peter Lynch!

(At least that's one of the things I read in his books many years ago... I think the book of his that I read is "One Up on Wall Street"...)

Any way of getting to know your customers better is a good thing... You could even strike up some conversations with them as they come out of the stores, and ask them some questions...!

Doing that could definitely give you new ideas and insights, as to what makes them "tick" and what motivates them...

- Dien

MikePT November 4, 2020 09:28 AM

Re: Thinking on Doing Market Research Observing People On Shopping Malls

Awesome Dien.

Thanks for the tip on the "stock market", it makes sense.

Thanks for the reply.

GordonJ November 4, 2020 05:19 PM

How do you get market research from this sort of stalking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41279)
Pros,

Your opinion?

You sell men's bracelets. So, are you going to follow men into stores and see if they buy a bracelet? How do you find out why they buy anything? In a mall, there must be a dozen places that sell jewelry, how do you pick one to
'stake out".

If you think you're going to get something from this, by all means have at it.

I think it is a total waste of time.

Gordon

MikePT November 4, 2020 07:37 PM

Re: Thinking on Doing Market Research Observing People On Shopping Malls

Thanks Gordon.