SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kindle anyone? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8388)

Eva December 28, 2012 04:45 PM

Kindle anyone?

For the longest time, I have totally ignored the "Kindle Revolution" or whatever you might call it. I have seen at the WF that some IM'ers swear by it, by saying having their own Kindle book published makes them an "authority". Bah, humbug, as Don might call it but, is there some truth to it?

In what way, besides trying to sell a gazillion copies of your own Kindle book, what would you do?

Eva

Eva December 29, 2012 02:04 PM

Re: Kindle anyone?

Anyone???

Guess I have not been active enough as in posting to deserve a reply? Or, the subject is not something you are an expert in? Whatever it is, as I too, have ignored Kindle for the longest time, any input would be appreciated,

Eva

RgrPett December 29, 2012 08:56 PM

First, I'm not a Kindle author but I have been following the Kindle phenomenon. While I would agree that publishing a book can give the author credibility in his/her field I also subscribe to the garbage in, garbage out school of thought. In my opinion the ease and low (or no) cost in putting a book on the Kindle market could lead to a lot of “garbage” in the Kindle book arena.

Having said that, one of the most comprehensive sources of Kindle publishing info is Bill Myers product developer's forum at http://www.bmyers.com. It's a membership site. $10.00 a month and well worth it. I've been a member ever since Gordon J Alexander mentioned it here several years ago and I've never regretted joining.

Bill's focus for years has been producing information products with a concentration on how-to DVDs. But this year he's published Kindle books of his own (both fiction and nonfiction). Along the way he's posted many tips outlining his Kindle experiences, what succeeded and what didn't.

The whole Kindle topic has generated much interest among Bill's members. So he recently added a separate Kindle department to his site. There you'll find all sorts of info on writing for the Kindle, page formatting techniques, free software for writing Kindle books, the types of topics that sell well, pricing strategies and how to promote your book. There is also a continuing dialog among members who are publishing their own books for the Kindle.

I hope this helps.

Roger

Eva December 29, 2012 09:17 PM

Excellent, I must say, especially since you used the word "phenomenon", lol and indeed it is. And, the fact that you can basically upload just about anything and proclaim yourself an author, will eventually become more appearant to the general public as just what that is, garbage. Still, I consider it a "phenomenon" that the general public know just about nothing about.

Having said that, as in knowing "nothing", how would you go about monetizing your knowledge of the Kindle Revolution?

Eva

RgrPett December 29, 2012 10:52 PM

Remember that my knowledge of the Kindle Revolution is only that of an observer/reader. So at this point I'd have to plagerize to monitize. LOL.

Most people think they have to write a book for the Kindle when in fact there are many Kindle “books” which are nothing but lists along the lines of “101 Ways to …...,” “50 Hot Texts To Send Your Lover” (somebody actually has developed a Kindle series along this very theme), “The 12 Secrets to Success in.......,” Must Things to See and Do in....., etc, etc.

Also, I see more and more authors using their Kindle books as a marketing tool by including a page of clickable links to their websites or to other books they've written for the Kindle.

As a point of reference, I'm 70 years old. I grew up loving the feel of turning the pages of books and never thought I'd like reading books any other way. I still don't own a Kindle although I do have the free Kindle app on my smartphone and I must admit I really like it. Very handy to have while waiting at the doctor's office or any time you have time to kill.

Roger

Glenn December 30, 2012 12:00 AM

How I Use The Kindle to Create New INFO Products

Happy New Year Eve,

I'm sure Amazon had no intention of having their Kindle Book selling
systems used in so many Weird ways.

But here's One More Kindle Munny Making Option.

On a 300 page Kindle book - You get a FREE PEEK at the 1st 30 pages.

So.

After down-loading several 100 (FREE Book PEEKS) from #1 Book Authors
in different Niches - Like -

Horror - Steven King -
Mystery - James Patterson
Children - J. K. Rowling

I added More than 100 Pages of NLP Words, Hypnotic Book titles,
Psychological Cliffhanger Strategies to my latest "UGLY NLP Copywriting Manual & Workbook."

Didn't cost a dime.

And

I didn't have to visit a bookstore either.

Just my 2 cents
but as a research
tool And Info Product Device - The Kindle is Great.

Thanks,
Glenn Osborn

Eva December 30, 2012 11:12 AM

I think most people in general knows how to buy a Kindle book or order anything online but as far as publishing their own Kindle book, they have no idea how to. Just the thought of actually write a book, even a short one, probably scares most people off. However, if they did, since publishing now is free and only requires a little bit of effort, they could have a nice little side income be it only $30-$40 a month.

I do not really see how you could make anything more than that but I am also a total newbie to the whole Kindle phenomenon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Eva

RgrPett December 30, 2012 06:47 PM

There are previously unpublished authors earning over a million dollars a year from their Amazon Kindle books.

Amanda Hocking, 28, has become the icon of Kindle success. Until 2010 she worked in a group home in Austin, MN. In her spare time she wrote paranormal romance young-adult fiction and collected rejection letters from publishers.

Needing to raise $300 for a trip to Chicago to see a Muppets exhibition she followed marketing tips gleaned from other self-published authors and put her novels on Kindle on April 15, 2010. Less than a year later she had sold over a million copies of her nine books and earned two million dollars in commissions from Amazon. She did it all by herself, without a book agent, without a publishing house, without a sales force or marketing manager or bookshop anywhere in sight.

Unknown author Tracey Garvis Graves earned a $612,000 commission from Amazon from the 146,170 copies of her Kindle book “On the Island: A Novel” she sold in just one month. The book was priced at $5.99, which means she earned a 70% commission on each sale.

J A Konrath had had some success as a traditionally published author. That is until 2009 when he become aware of the Kindle. From 2009 thru August 2012, he's sold 632,501 self-published ebooks on Kindle, Nook, others earning him $912,138. Six of his novels--all rejected by legacy publishers, have sold 362,783 copies, earning him $600,501.

By putting their books on Kindle, authors can put out books quicker than the Big 6 publishers, earn more money (up to 70% vs. the 17.5% from traditional book sales), reach more readers and have more control over the entire process.

Roger

Phil December 30, 2012 08:26 PM

Broke $1000 in one day, (1 yr. ago post) self-published books, $1001.50, Your Turn!

Welcome home Eva...

With 2013, just around the corner...

Make sure you Share all your [New found Riches and Success stories] that I hear are just About to happen All around your part of the Geo local, world-wide internet and much, much more... :)

Time will Tell...

Kindle in my opinion, is [Really] just another Publishing business model, Full of ideas, With never-ending {Opportunities} just Like with Everything else Out there...

No different...

Not much need to Buy every single Kindle related info Product, Ideas coming into the Marketplace...

Just not Necessary unless...

As someone Mentioned... Info products Sell especially well...

Because it's Not much different than...

Comfort food and {Knowledge for the Brain} continues to Go Head to Head with the Never-ending Food related Industry, weight loss and Everything else (in between) that makes us Feel good and Happy! ... ;)

Lots of {Great} [Free] stuff around to Snatch, Study, Learn and Re-Create into your Own Smart ideas...

Quick picks to get those interested, Started with a few little Golden nuggets, TidBits of Excellent information, much more to be Found simply by Digging around...

19,000 Views and Growing...

Definitely worth reading and Scanning through...
http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...dle-books.html

Broke $1000 in one day for the first time yesterday from self-published books. $1001.50.
http://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comm...he_first_time/

Kindle (secrets) untold secrets for free... :D
http://books.google.com/books/about/...8C&redir_esc=y
https://www.google.com/search?q=kind...1708 &bih=831
https://www.google.com/search?q=kind...w=1708&bih=831

Have an [Awesome] 2013... Enjoy! ...

And make All kinds of $$$'s, Kindling or whatever...

Phil

Eva January 2, 2013 10:39 PM

Thanks RgrPett and you to Phil. Gosh, who would think Kindle could bring in that kind of money. Will def follow through on all the links Phil,

Eva