SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why do we do this? Why teach entrepreneurship? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10021)

Dien Rice October 26, 2017 08:20 PM

Why do we do this? Why teach entrepreneurship?

Why, why, why teach entrepreneurship?

Here are my reasons... I've articulated these here and there over the years, but it doesn't hurt to reaffirm my "whys"...

I believe EVERYONE should learn entrepreneurship. Why is that?

Entrepreneurship skills give you a kind of "safety net"... It means, if you are in financial trouble, you can climb out of the hole.

There are a lot of people around who are stuck in a financial hole... Quite a lot. They don't know how to climb out. Some are in holes that are very deep. Some families have been in a financial hole for multiple generations.

The EASIEST time to learn, to prepare, is when you're NOT in that hole!

When you're in it, it's harder... Because you're spending all your time trying to put food on the table, or a roof over your head.

So, the time to learn, for everyone, is NOW - unless you're literally busy trying to survive...

Because there's a learning curve. There are a bunch of skills to learn.

But once you have those... These are urban survival skills.

I believe everyone needs to know these. They don't teach you this in school.

That's why I do this... I believe I am doing good for the human race, for humanity, by sharing what I know about entrepreneurship, what I've learned, what works for me, and what's worked for other people.

In fact, this lack of knowledge is likely to be the source of most people's financial problems!

We need you... To learn these skills too, and help spread what you learn about entrepreneurship as well. It will help your family, your friends, and your neighbors...

Thanks for reading...

I know many here agree with me... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

unpinkpanther October 27, 2017 02:42 AM

Spot on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38666)
Some families have been in a financial hole for multiple generations.

Dien:

This right here is a key reason why people should learn the skill to be financially free.

Your action-and inaction- today is shaping the next generation.

What would you want to pass down to the next generation?

GordonJ October 27, 2017 01:37 PM

Good one Dien.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 38666)
Why, why, why teach entrepreneurship?

Here are my reasons... I've articulated these here and there over the years, but it doesn't hurt to reaffirm my "whys"...

I believe EVERYONE should learn entrepreneurship. Why is that?

Entrepreneurship skills give you a kind of "safety net"... It means, if you are in financial trouble, you can climb out of the hole.

There are a lot of people around who are stuck in a financial hole... Quite a lot. They don't know how to climb out. Some are in holes that are very deep. Some families have been in a financial hole for multiple generations.

The EASIEST time to learn, to prepare, is when you're NOT in that hole!

When you're in it, it's harder... Because you're spending all your time trying to put food on the table, or a roof over your head.

So, the time to learn, for everyone, is NOW - unless you're literally busy trying to survive...

Because there's a learning curve. There are a bunch of skills to learn.

But once you have those... These are urban survival skills.

I believe everyone needs to know these. They don't teach you this in school.

That's why I do this... I believe I am doing good for the human race, for humanity, by sharing what I know about entrepreneurship, what I've learned, what works for me, and what's worked for other people.

In fact, this lack of knowledge is likely to be the source of most people's financial problems!

We need you... To learn these skills too, and help spread what you learn about entrepreneurship as well. It will help your family, your friends, and your neighbors...

Thanks for reading...

I know many here agree with me... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Last night, thanks to an email from an old friend/member here, I watched the Biography of Dale Carnegie and also the YouTube video of Joe Cossman.

A couple of additional thoughts on Entrepreneurship. Cossman sent his little brief case out full of goodies, and his thing was to ACQUIRE the rights to a product, and only deal with a PROPRIETARY position, OR if inventive, to create your own product.

Carnegie was turned down by two universities before he started to teach at the YMCA. He quickly figured out that the NEW middle managers of the world, created by the boom in manufacturing/consumerism...needed skills to advance their careers. I doubt if a better book title has ever come about, How to Win Friends and Influence People. I was struck by the number of critics he had too, but like most success, he ignored them. Imagine if Dale had a Trump skin, he'd have spent most of his time and money in court over libel and slander cases.

OPPORTUNITY still exists.

My inventions are up on the shelf, the first multi use wedge, with adjustable loft and bounce, The Winged Wedge 222, could be a one club solution for millions of golfers, BUT, I don't like golfers.

I have a kitchen utensil, a one appliance for everything...sort of like a waffle iron/grill, with multiple attachments, from a slow cooker, to a cupcake baker, to a paninni maker...well, one appliance for all your needs. Alas, not very interested in it.

I have two games, doing nothing. Actually, 4, but two of them are for bigger arenas, something like mini golf combined with bocce.

I should be taking video of my microwave MUG recipes, simple 2 to 3 minute meals in a mug. Probably a million single people would buy into that idea.

My opinion, get ONE steady, reliable income stream, you can count on, to keep the roof over head and belly full...then do all sorts of things if you want.

As Cossman showed, it doesn't take money to acquire a product, nor money to sell it. Or as Dale Carnegie showed, he was paid on the number of people who took his classes, so he had no expenses...then he developed the courses and wrote his books. Still very doable.

Not much reason NOT to have at least a finger or two into the Entrepreneurial PIE of your choice. Makes life interesting.

Gordon

Seop October 29, 2017 01:12 PM

Re: Why do we do this? Why teach entrepreneurship?

Nice points Gordon.

But my firm belief is that entrepreneurship is the only life mission.