SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   He said, "You're going about this all wrong." (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10964)

GordonJ April 14, 2021 06:40 PM

He said, "You're going about this all wrong."

An old friend sez, “You're going about this all wrong.” What he was talking about....

Weeelll, I'm exhausted for the day. Gonna head home and wrap my head around a conversation I had with an old friend. I saw him a couple of years ago at our 50th class reunion but he was too busy chasing after his high school sweeties to pay me any mind.

But today, at an early dinner (yes it is true, Old people eat very early dinners) is when he told me my retirement was all wrong.

And he may be right.

The gist was; in his opinion, I needed to:
Get off the Internet.
Get back to people and nature.

"Take your own advice, the one about where your head going somewhere."
(Where your head goes, your body follows {meant in both physical and metaphysical ways}).

He may be right, I doubt if I have anything else to give you all. Maybe the fire is out, the passion gone and the time is right to harvest all those seeds I've planted over the years. Or maybe a long vacation from my self created busyness...being busy, DOING, and doing more isn't a sign of productivity, it is an indication of busyness. He asked me the old Gordon question (I hate when they do that), WHY?

And my what and why sounded sort of weak. Sort of shallow? Not sure, but maybe I need to do something else, and even examining my new project as to the WHY? (May be ego, to prove I still can??)... but this week I'm getting a bird's eye view of the future, and I don't see much of a part in it for me.

So ol Gordon has to answer the same question to his self hes a been askin ya all for decades now, WHAT DO YOU WANT, AND WHY?

I really have to think about that. I am grateful I have another two days of activities to keep myself distracted from trying to answer that one...maybe something will come up.

Gordon

MikePT April 15, 2021 07:10 PM

Re: He said, "You're going about this all wrong."

I start with the WHY:

Financial independence doing something I like and with good taste.

Mail-order business only at the moment.

I want to sell services but find a pain in the butt to deal with clients.

I want to sell info-products but find too much tedious for me.

MikePT

Dien Rice April 15, 2021 08:13 PM

It triggered a couple of thoughts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41808)
An old friend sez, “You're going about this all wrong.” What he was talking about....

Weeelll, I'm exhausted for the day. Gonna head home and wrap my head around a conversation I had with an old friend. I saw him a couple of years ago at our 50th class reunion but he was too busy chasing after his high school sweeties to pay me any mind.

But today, at an early dinner (yes it is true, Old people eat very early dinners) is when he told me my retirement was all wrong.

And he may be right.

Get off the Internet.

(Where your head goes, your body follows {meant in both physical and metaphysical ways}).

He may be right, I doubt if I have anything else to give you all. Maybe the fire is out, the passion gone and the time is right to harvest all those seeds I've planted over the years. Or maybe a long vacation from my self created busyness...being busy, DOING, and doing more isn't a sign of productivity, it is an indication of busyness. He asked me the old Gordon question (I hate when they do that), WHY?

And my what and why sounded sort of weak. Sort of shallow? Not sure, but maybe I need to do something else, and even examining my new project as to the WHY? (May be ego, to prove I still can??)... but this week I'm getting a bird's eye view of the future, and I don't see much of a part in it for me.

So ol Gordon has to answer the same question to his self hes a been askin ya all for decades now, WHAT DO YOU WANT, AND WHY?

I really have to think about that. I am grateful I have another two days of activities to keep myself distracted from trying to answer that one...maybe something will come up.

Hi Gordon,

Two thoughts come to my mind, depending on what you want to do...

1. If you want to "retire" - personally, I don't think I could ever "retire" in the normal sense... I'd have to always be doing something, as long as my health allowed me to!

I get bored easily... (I'd be constantly seeking new stimulation - I think you know the type!)

So personally, I love challenges... whether they are business challenges, or otherwise...

That's probably what my "retirement" would look like... which is actually not so different from what I do now... :)

I'm not the kind who could spend all day, every day, playing Pit (an old card game), or even lying on a deck chair at a sandy beach... Once in a while is great, but...

2. The other thought I had was... if you have a vision, keep your eyes on that vision...

It doesn't have to be a business vision necessarily... It could be doing a project or projects together with your adult children, for example... Or maybe learning something you always wanted to learn (like a new language)...

(Learning a new language is one of my dreams... It's a pity I seem so bad at it!)

Those are just a couple of thoughts I gleaned off the top of my bean... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

unpinkpanther April 17, 2021 11:05 AM

Thanks for sharing, Gordon

Hi there, Gordon

Thanks for sharing your humanness.

I find it refreshing and humbling, especially in a world dripping with "know-it-all" gurus.

Maybe you can ask your friend to explain more on what he sees you better suited for. And WHY.

In my experience, I've found feedback from true friends to be a BLESSING.

Often they can help us see plans and opportunities which we would otherwise overlook.

Thank GOD for friends that "stick closer than a brother"...

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41808)

And he may be right.

Get off the Internet.

Gordon

GordonJ April 17, 2021 12:59 PM

I'm not the sit on a boat and fish type of guy.

OK.

We've been out of high school for 53 years now, all of us past retirement age, most retired. I have always said, one must get tired out, before they can then REtire...ha!

I feel that, due to lack of work, the whole knee-jerk reaction to it, ala Maynard G. Krebs (Work? WERK??!) AND how I've built my business the last two decades...that there are many biz muscles not used, and if not, they atrophy and die.

HIS idea was, let's get on his big boat in Lake Erie, head toward the islands, drink beer, fish and chase after old women (both of us single guys now). It sounded tiring, and God forbid, what if I caught one (fish or woman), what in the world would I do with it?

Now I should point out, he built a big family business, and it was the only thing he did, right out of high school and college, and that is certainly one way to do things. ONE THING, do it well and stay put.

I'm not built that way.

So, when he said I was going about my "retirement" all wrong, I understood his perspective, and I get it, albeit I feel there is a lot left to use...but not necessarily the TIME to do it, so picking carefully is important to me.

Now he did advise me to do more consulting, set up a small shop, just to keep active if that is what I wanted, so his insights into my strengths were good.

Also, most of my WORK Werk time today is spent on creative projects: scripts and stories and not much time left for business.

I agree with you, that feedback from good friends can be a blessing, and they can also help us see ourselves as others see us. Then, of course, we can use their feedback, or use it as motivation to do the thing they advise against us doing too.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by unpinkpanther (Post 41816)
Hi there, Gordon

Thanks for sharing your humanness.

I find it refreshing and humbling, especially in a world dripping with "know-it-all" gurus.

Maybe you can ask your friend to explain more on what he sees you better suited for. And WHY.

In my experience, I've found feedback from true friends to be a BLESSING.

Often they can help us see plans and opportunities which we would otherwise overlook.

Thank GOD for friends that "stick closer than a brother"...

Cheers!

Dien Rice April 17, 2021 10:13 PM

Too much sun and surf... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41818)
OK.

We've been out of high school for 53 years now, all of us past retirement age, most retired. I have always said, one must get tired out, before they can then REtire...ha!

I feel that, due to lack of work, the whole knee-jerk reaction to it, ala Maynard G. Krebs (Work? WERK??!) AND how I've built my business the last two decades...that there are many biz muscles not used, and if not, they atrophy and die.

HIS idea was, let's get on his big boat in Lake Erie, head toward the islands, drink beer, fish and chase after old women (both of us single guys now). It sounded tiring, and God forbid, what if I caught one (fish or woman), what in the world would I do with it?

Now I should point out, he built a big family business, and it was the only thing he did, right out of high school and college, and that is certainly one way to do things. ONE THING, do it well and stay put.

I'm not built that way.

So, when he said I was going about my "retirement" all wrong, I understood his perspective, and I get it, albeit I feel there is a lot left to use...but not necessarily the TIME to do it, so picking carefully is important to me.

Now he did advise me to do more consulting, set up a small shop, just to keep active if that is what I wanted, so his insights into my strengths were good.

Also, most of my WORK Werk time today is spent on creative projects: scripts and stories and not much time left for business.

I agree with you, that feedback from good friends can be a blessing, and they can also help us see ourselves as others see us. Then, of course, we can use their feedback, or use it as motivation to do the thing they advise against us doing too.

Hi Gordon,

I get it too... but like you, it's also not "me"...

I remember when I was in my late 20s, I was a post-grad student in physics, and I attended a 5-day physics conference in Brisbane, Australia. Brisbane is only about an hour away from the Gold Coast - a popular beach holiday destination. So after the conference, I took a one-week holiday on the Gold Coast...

The first few days were amazing! But then, after a few days... I started thinking about physics problems (I know, I know)...

After a week, I was more than ready to go home... Enough sun, surf, and sheilas (as they say in Australia) for me... ;) (Okay, I actually got the sun, not much surf and sheilas, if I'm honest... :) )

I can't be in pure "relaxation" mode for more than a few days... My mind wants new challenges to think about, that's just how I'm built... Any kind of meaningful challenge, including business challenges... and that's what's fun for me... :)

Thanks for sharing, Gordon!

Best wishes,

Dien

Penny May 16, 2021 10:25 PM

Re: He said, "You're going about this all wrong."

I'm new here, so please forgive my 'late to the party' response.
My big Why?
Financial stability and independence.

My How?
Saw something here about APV sites (looking for a link to purchase the information on doing them), but selling information products through mail order is what I want to do long term.

I think not even nearest and dearest can decide for you when it's time to stop doing something you enjoy doing. Unless your health or the world comes to a screeching halt, then you have to live with it.

Glenn May 17, 2021 01:08 AM

*Stoned Free-How to Get HIGH w/out Drugs* on The NET

Thanks Gordon,

(You know darn well this book will NOT be in any Local Bookstores!)

THING ONE
that is ONLY Found Via The Internet....

After skimming all books written about Taylor Swift.

(Because she is using Tons of Advanced Psychological Sales Tactics. And Copywriting.)

I Found this INCREDIBLE Video Series on YouTube.com

Where she PLAYS the Music or Lyrics she Recorded when She Woke Up
from a DREAM - Where chunks of Songs come to Her UNconsciously.

I
GET
IDEAS in a similar way.

So I am VERY INTERESTED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=7VenlV7Qxak

THING TWO
A Fun Lady who Is Never Going to Be Profiled on TV or The Radio, Newspapers or Magazines.

A Teacher
Taught HerSelf to Shoot IGUANAS with an AirRifle.

(Florida Iguanas are like Kangaroos in Australia - Everywhere like RATS.)

NO MALE OWNED Company would Hire Her.

So She Started Her own Company.

I LOVE Her Enthusiasm.

And Her SLOGAN. "Gotcha Iguana"

PLUS none of the MEN will Explain Exactly how a HI END AIR RIFLE works.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnvRhxGinI

THING 3
I am Coaching a Guy In Tennessee who is Trying to meet A Girlfriend on
a Dating Website.

YIKES #1 - I Find Out is Ramon's Photo has to ATTRACT women - who email first.
To Start the Conversation.

NIFTY IDEA #2 - I have a Mentor who has made 52 million in the DATING NICHE.
So Borrowed his advice to BE DIFFERENT.

Sent Ramon a link to These LED Rings.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ramon Assumed The THINKER POSE. Hand with FLASH RING on Finger under Chin for his New DATING PHOTO.

SUCCESS #3 - Ramon Tells me Women are Lining up to email him.

WOOOPS - The Dating Website FUDDY DUDDIES - Blocked Ramons Account.
It seems they do not Approve of OUTSIDE the Box LED PORTRAIT PHOTO Type Thinking.

And
FINALLY -

I am one of the 200 Million Folks who signed up to AMAZON PRIME on-Line.

I Bought a 99.00 Bread Machine.
25 Pound bag of SPELT Flour - cuz I am Allergic to Durham wheat.
6 Quarts of Apple Sauce
A Case of Ground Chicken - to put in soup.

NO SHIPPING CHARGES!

And
As Icing on the Cake - GORDON.

If You Weren't on-Line - You Wouldn't have been Able to TELL me about the Book that has the 2 Missing Chapters CUT from "Think and Grow Rich,"

Which I will share with my Ezine Readers all over the world.

YOU
MIGHT
WANT to STAY on-Line.

You are HELPING More People than You Know.

Glenn Osborn
Millionaire Mastermind Marketing Association
Master of Ceremonies at the Billionaire Watching club
Rentamentor Coaching Group

Dien Rice May 18, 2021 10:47 AM

...On coming up with ideas from dreams...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 41888)
Thanks Gordon,

(You know darn well this book will NOT be in any Local Bookstores!)

THING ONE
that is ONLY Found Via The Internet....

After skimming all books written about Taylor Swift.

(Because she is using Tons of Advanced Psychological Sales Tactics. And Copywriting.)

I Found this INCREDIBLE Video Series on YouTube.com

Where she PLAYS the Music or Lyrics she Recorded when She Woke Up
from a DREAM - Where chunks of Songs come to Her UNconsciously.

I
GET
IDEAS in a similar way.

So I am VERY INTERESTED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=7VenlV7Qxak

Thanks, Glenn,

I just watched the whole three part Taylor Swift presentation, which I thought was pretty amazing...

There's no question that Taylor Swift is talented and also kind of a marketing genius, too... as you've pointed out (with examples) in your various articles and emails!

She starts talking about her songwriting about 8 minutes into the first video (Part 1). There are a total of three parts if you want to watch the whole thing...

I also really liked how she shared how she interacted with Max Martin and Shellback, who are also both songwriting and producing geniuses.

I've read an article about Max Martin. He's had so many hits as a songwriter (which other people sing). He's quite a phenomenon. You may never have heard of him. If so, that's because he doesn't toot his own horn.

But, he's been the genius behind so many hits by so many pop music stars... including Britney Spears, "...Baby One More Time" (and many others), Katy Perry, "California Gurls" (and many others), and Lady Gaga, "Stupid Love" (which was just a hit last year)...

The thing about Taylor Swift is that she had her own hits before she hooked up with Max Martin. So she's really a talent independent of him.

On coming up with ideas from dreams...

That's also happened in science... (I also have a science background, which is how I know about this.)

The most famous example I can think of is there's a compound called benzene...

One guy was trying to figure out the chemical structure of benzene.

He was relaxing and had a daydream of a snake eating its own tail...

He came back to full consciousness and thought - Eureka!

It turns out that the structure of benzene is a ring. That discovery was directly inspired by the discoverer's daydream of a snake eating its own tail. So it happens in science, too.

You can read about it here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Kekul%C3%A9#Kekul%C3%A9's_dream

I think dreams are important... and not only for inspiration, but also solving any problem, including business problems and marketing problems.

Thanks a lot, Glenn!

- Dien

GordonJ May 18, 2021 02:13 PM

Guided visualizations, directing dreams, etc. etc.

Full circle to Nap Hill and TAGR, where he talks about invisible guides, his imaginary Mastermind group, which took on a life of its own and other ideas.

Just before we started SowPub, I went to meet a woman who was, at that time, the first Dream Analyst from a college, a Ph.D. in Dreams...introduced to her via Joe Hammer; magician, marketer and guru in his own right.

We were discussing the possibility of doing an information product, although she was very cautious and didn't want to turn it into some new agey thing, so she declined on making a set of tapes to market, although she did have her own products for 'PROFESSIONALS' only.

Well during this discussion I brought up my early days with hypnotherapist Fran Renner, who first taught me to try to guide my dreams and get information from them...and at one time, I was very good at it...then life>>>
>>>>> marriage, kids, work, jobs etc., etc. kind of got that all clouded over.

It requires discipline and habit, but I believe anyone who makes a conscious effort can tap into their dreams (subconscious) and pluck out useful information which could benefit them and others too.

The IMAGINATION is the most powerful tool we have.

Combine that with a knowledge of human behavior, and states of consciousness and we can see how some success is accelerated. Taylor Swift had a lot of influence as a young person, when the mind is more open, and when music is being learned and studied, which can itself put us in a trance like state. ;)

From my SQ1 practical application view from the rooftop, I see applications, such as Glenn uses them in direct eyeball to eyeball situations (interrupting patterns, flashing an idea directly to the mind, etc.) as well as with remote situations, as in selling something online.

A plan comes after self analysis, and the understanding of where and why...then as we move further to the right, toward the object of our desire, we adjust and overcome obstacles...or avoid the mad dogs of Elm St.

I've found it is often at the intersections, where no scarecrow is present to show us the way...we can ask in our dreams or to our subconscious minds the answers and solutions to our problems.

But then, it all could be just in my imagination too.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41894)
Thanks, Glenn,

I just watched the whole three part Taylor Swift presentation, which I thought was pretty amazing...

There's no question that Taylor Swift is talented and also kind of a marketing genius, too... as you've pointed out (with examples) in your various articles and emails!

She starts talking about her songwriting about 8 minutes into the first video (Part 1). There are a total of three parts if you want to watch the whole thing...

I also really liked how she shared how she interacted with Max Martin and Shellback, who are also both songwriting and producing geniuses.

I've read an article about Max Martin. He's had so many hits as a songwriter (which other people sing). He's quite a phenomenon. You may never have heard of him. If so, that's because he doesn't toot his own horn.

But, he's been the genius behind so many hits by so many pop music stars... including Britney Spears, "...Baby One More Time" (and many others), Katy Perry, "California Gurls" (and many others), and Lady Gaga, "Stupid Love" (which was just a hit last year)...

The thing about Taylor Swift is that she had her own hits before she hooked up with Max Martin. So she's really a talent independent of him.

On coming up with ideas from dreams...

That's also happened in science... (I also have a science background, which is how I know about this.)

The most famous example I can think of is there's a compound called benzene...

One guy was trying to figure out the chemical structure of benzene.

He was relaxing and had a daydream of a snake eating its own tail...

He came back to full consciousness and thought - Eureka!

It turns out that the structure of benzene is a ring. That discovery was directly inspired by the discoverer's daydream of a snake eating its own tail. So it happens in science, too.

You can read about it here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Kekul%C3%A9#Kekul%C3%A9's_dream

I think dreams are important... and not only for inspiration, but also solving any problem, including business problems and marketing problems.

Thanks a lot, Glenn!

- Dien