SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Making The Sale... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4412)

Dien Rice October 1, 2007 03:52 AM

Making The Sale...

A little while ago I saw the documentary, "Salesman". It's a documentary where they followed Bible salesman around in the late 1960s. You really see the ups and the downs, the good and the bad of selling "door to door"...

Now, I love great salespeople! They're the people who "sell" to you when you don't realize it... Anyway, having done some face-to-face selling myself in the past, I know it's not always the easiest path to travel... And can even be "frightening" (the same way getting up on stage can be fearful)!

Anyway, in "Salesman", you could see some people were terrible salespeople. (The main guy, Paul, wasn't doing too well.) But you also noticed his demeanor... He was down in the dumps, moaning about his problems in selling, making excuses, and so on... Whereas, those who were selling well, were pretty chipper!

Now, you might say that the chipper salesmen were happy because they were making sales! And Paul was down in the dumps because he wasn't making sales... But...

What if it was the other way around?

Maybe the happy salesmen were making sales because they were cheerful and happy! (And enthusiastic about their product!) And what if Paul wasn't doing too well because he was down in the dumps... No matter how you try to mask it, it's hard to mask how you really feel completely...

Anyway, what I'm coming to is this interesting quote from Zig Ziglar I just came across...

Sometimes I love to browse through bookshops. You can browse through various books and learn a lot, and get a lot of ideas. It's fun! (Though it can also be expensive if you have a habit of buying all the books... As I tend to do!) Anyway, that's how I found this quote.

Here's the quote from Zig Ziglar... He says...

Quote:

Selling is essentially a transference of feeling.

If I (the salesman) can make you feel about my product the way I feel about my product, you are going to buy my product, if there is any way in the world you can come up with the money.

Now in order to transfer a feeling, you've got to have that feeling.

(From Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale, p. 83.)
Anyway... Any thoughts on this, or experiences?

Cheers :)

Dien

Steve MacLellan October 1, 2007 05:51 AM

Re: Making The Sale...

Quote:

Anyway... Any thoughts on this, or experiences?

This is why some car lots and vacuum cleaner sales jobs are given to new recruits without any sales experience. They get excited about a two-day training workshop get tossed out the door and their enthusiasm makes them the sales.

After a little while, they start getting more comfortable with the business and their enthusiasm decreases. Their sales start decreasing. At this point they either need to learn HOW to sell, or they will be shoved out the door in favor of other new recruits coming along.

Some of these guys will "get it" but most won't. Those who can maintain the enthusiasm can transfer this feeling to the prospect and then move into the role of the assistant buyer, who naturally assumes the sales and then has the prospect making a commitment of some sort -- whether it is filling out the warranty card, or signing something.... At this point the prospect isn't really committed yet, but he feels he has made the buying decision even if he hasn't said he will "take it" yet.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Dien Rice October 2, 2007 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan (Post 17189)
This is why some car lots and vacuum cleaner sales jobs are given to new recruits without any sales experience. They get excited about a two-day training workshop get tossed out the door and their enthusiasm makes them the sales.

After a little while, they start getting more comfortable with the business and their enthusiasm decreases. Their sales start decreasing. At this point they either need to learn HOW to sell, or they will be shoved out the door in favor of other new recruits coming along.

Some of these guys will "get it" but most won't. Those who can maintain the enthusiasm can transfer this feeling to the prospect and then move into the role of the assistant buyer, who naturally assumes the sales and then has the prospect making a commitment of some sort -- whether it is filling out the warranty card, or signing something.... At this point the prospect isn't really committed yet, but he feels he has made the buying decision even if he hasn't said he will "take it" yet.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing that information... I didn't know about all that regarding "new recruits". Completely fascinating! (And this is all very important for business - since there's no business without a sale!)

Thanks for sharing it!

Best wishes,
Dien

MichaelRoss October 3, 2007 04:31 AM

It STARTS with a Want...

Quote:

there's no business without a sale

Um... Actually, there is no business without someone Wanting something.

Don't matter how Brilliant a Salesman you are, if'n the person does not WANT what you are offering you will NOT make a sale.

Just try and sell me a CD of 50 Cent or M&M. I wouldn't listen to them if Given them so I ain't buying them no matter how good the Salesman.

Michael Ross

Dien Rice October 3, 2007 09:00 AM

Give me my stress-relief wrist band!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 17217)

Don't matter how Brilliant a Salesman you are, if'n the person does not WANT what you are offering you will NOT make a sale.

Just try and sell me a CD of 50 Cent or M&M. I wouldn't listen to them if Given them so I ain't buying them no matter how good the Salesman.

Hi Michael,

I agree, it starts with a want...

Of course, even if it is something you want... you go through fluctuations of how much you want it, and what priority it takes among all the other things.

For example, let's say that you sometimes feel that you really want a stress-relief wrist band...

However - although you want it - there are also a lot of other things you'd like to spend your money on. Maybe you'd also like some new seat covers for your car, and you'd also like a new audio course on CDs you've heard about. Because of your limited cash, you can't buy them all right away. Do you spend your money on those other things first, or on the stress-relief wrist band?

Now, let's say you're in a store where they sell the stress-relief wrist band, and you're having a look at it. A salesperson comes up to you. He asks if he can help you, but he looks kind of bored, and he's obviously hoping for the hours to go by so he can quickly go home. You'd probably be more likely to say "no, just looking", then go away.

But, now let's say you're in another store which also sells the stress-relief wrist band, and you're again having a look. A salesperson again comes up to you, and notices you're looking at the sales-relief wrist band. She says, "Wow! I see you're looking at the sales-relief wrist band. I have one of those myself, and I also bought one for my husband. They really work, I love it! There's nothing better than to go home after a hard day's work, to slip on my stress-relief wrist band, and relax!"

Now, surely you're more likely to buy... This person obviously likes it, and is even providing a testimonial! I think you're much more likely to buy in the second case than the first case. And it follows what Zig Ziglar says... The second salesperson obviously likes the product, and is even enthusiastic about it, and she has helped to transfer her feelings about it to you. Whereas the first salesperson was pretty bored and ho-hum, and also probably transferred some of those emotions to you... Which would make you want to go home quickly too!

Anyway, even if someone already wants something, there are always other competing "wants" meaning a decision is required... But your point is taken.

Cheers,

Dien

GordonJ October 3, 2007 09:39 AM

Michael Ross, you are a brillant realist, grounded in ways of the world...

Quote:

Michael Ross

You are a positive skeptic able to separate the wheat from the chaff...the fluff from the reality.

You Michael Ross will not have the wool pulled over your eyes, you've got a Pit Bull tenacity for the truth...and you demand accuracy in writing...

you say what you mean, and you mean what you say...

You have shown us that you are a Capiatlist..and you know and understand that as individuals who take responsibilty for their own lives..that the future is as bright as the SowPub Sun...

YET, you also have a keen eye on the ways of the world, and the bigger picture isn't as bright as it could be, right?

You see things on an International scale, some of that unique perspective you bring is mind boggling. You are a 10th degree black belt Hikuta master when it comes to reality, and seeing things as they are.

You can see the youth and their potential...to drag the whole world down...to maybe make it a better place...but the view probably appears bleak through those NO rose colored glasses you wear.

We must understand this youthful generation if we can impart our wisdom and help guide them and give them a path that will lead to individual accomplishment, happiness and make them independent people.

We can gain that understanding by observing, by knowing what the influences are in their life. We must walk in their shoes while maintaining a clear eye and a clearer mind.

What is going into the minds of our future? What are they hearing? What are they listening to and why?

You surely want to be able to help avoid any major catasophes a given indivdual will make...that may impact so many of us...and to help the wayward youth to see the errors of their ways, right?

How can you do that if you don't understand? I too would never have spent a penny on a 50 cent or a M&M CD...I wouldn't even touch them with a ten foot didgeridoo...until I heard my beloved daughter listening to them.

I was astounded and baffled. This is an honors college student. An award winning "leader" of youth...why, oh why would she listen to this garbage, this crap, this utter nonsense...

And so I asked her and she told me..."Dad, I have to know what the other kids listen to so I can speak in a language they understand and relate too."

I thought of an old English teacher who said, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

I thought of how Elmer Wheeler got me to "get in step" with people and that lesson has been priceless in my sales life.

I thought of how Ben Franklin would loan out books, how Abe Lincoln would write compassionate letters to his "enemies"...

Actually, I THOUGHT!

And Michael, you are nothing if not a thinking man...you've proven that over the years.

You are one of the most keen and brillant thinkers that visits this forum...and I have a small favor to ask of you...

Michael, I'd like to send you a couple of CD's. CD's you'll hate. CD's you will never want to listen to...ever...CD's that you may very well use for target practice with your boomerang.

The reason I want you to have these hated CD's is simple...YOU might be the only person I know who can help us solve the puzzle of the future...tell us WHY these CD's have such a grip, have such a hold on the youth of today.

YOU should be able to decipher the hidden code that these guys use, and help us identify the hot buttons these guys are pushing to sell millions of dollars of crap to our youth.

Imagine Michael a few months from now once you have cracked the code...and we're able to get inside the minds of today's youth...using the secret messages of these modern svengalis...

Couldn't we make an influence? Couldn't we derail many of the wayward youth off the track of destruction and crassness? You will be doing the future a great service by helping us to understand what the messages are in these best selling, making the 50cents and M&M's of the world into multi-millionaires and people of influence over the youth of today.

We need your help Michael. We need you to give us a clue. I'd like to send you two CD's Michael, at my expense. All that I ask is that you supply a small amount to cover the shipping and handling costs of these CD's, and, you won't even have to do that until you've had a chance to listen the "devils" and explore their influences. Then, once a month, I'll send you the latest HOT CD, for your consideration and you'll supply just the postage and handling, fair enough?

Michael Ross, the future is depending on you. We must find a way.

Simply send an email to: _______ and we'll pack up and ship out the latest CD's to you.

Respectfully,

Gordon "Puff Geezer" Alexander

PS. And if you make the request within the next 7 days, we'll include a special CD, at NO cost to you, of Tiny Tim singing his favorite Australian folk ballads, such as "Tip Toe through the Pygmies"....but hurry, you only have 7 days and the clock is ticking.

(Do I need say my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek? Ah, I just did)

Steve MacLellan October 3, 2007 09:57 AM

Yes, the place to to get your first objection is at the door. Once you agree and show some empathy for their concerns (without ever confronting the actual objection) the sale is in the bag.

LOL

Thanks Gordon for the reminder.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

GordonJ October 3, 2007 10:17 AM

Speaking of Web Masters and first web sites...Steve MacLellan is the MAN...

http://homebusiness-websites.com/1st...s-website.html

If you don't have a site on the Net that is sending you some cash...don't wait another day...

OH, I'm not an affiliate..."TOOPID ME"...but I can testify from personal experience that Steve MacLellan is the MAN when it comes to help with building websites and his work found here:

http://homebusiness-websites.com/1st...s-website.html

Is a BARGAIN. A must have if you haven't yet gotten started. Get it today. In fact, get it NOW while you're thinking about it.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Steve knows I like to put up and TAKE down sites like a bee in flower garden buzzes from flower to flower

Steve MacLellan October 3, 2007 10:26 AM

Thanks for the plug Gordon

If no one wants it, I probably have a spare vacuum, car or some CD's laying around:D

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Unregistered October 3, 2007 01:23 PM

BUT.....

Quote:

Michael Ross

When I walk into a Car Dealership "wanting a car"....it is the "master salesperson" who can "Sell" me the car "I think I want"!

Same with most of the Advertising Programs I've "sold" over the years;
I know that people in business "want" customers and "more business", however...there a many ways to "try" and get customers and more business. It is "up to me" to get these people to realize that they "want MY" method of getting "customers and more business".

This goes with most products and programs.

People "want" a "refrigerator". It's the advertising of the company selling refrigerators and salesmanship of the salesperson....that causes the person "wanting" a fridge, to buy the fridge from a specific company and a specific salesperson.

It's the master salesperson who can sell someone a product or program where the prospect had no idea they "wanted" the product or program.

"Master salespeople" can "create wants"....and get a sale where the prospect did not realize they "wanted" the product.

Don Alm......... "Master Salesman"