SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Survey: "Town Directory" Name.... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6413)

Adman June 8, 2009 07:58 PM

Survey: "Town Directory" Name....

I've been going to develope a "Town Directory" for my town. Not a "Town Portal" that has to be UPdated Daily or Weekly to show "Things Happening".

I simply want to put up a website that lists Businesses, Professionals & Medicos in Alphabetical Order;
ie:
Accountants
Antique Shoppes
Attorneys
Auto Repair
etc...

And list just 3 in each category.

So....my SURVEY question to you folks is;

WHICH do YOU Think....is the Domain Name YOU think I should use for this project;

A) RoseburgsBest.com
or
B) BestOfRoseburg.com

I'd like YOUR Opinion/s as one entrepreneur to another....based on YOUR "entrepreneurial" experience.

Thanks for your help,

Don Alm
Roseburg, Oregon

Sandi Bowman June 8, 2009 09:03 PM

Re: Survey: "Town Directory" Name....

Best of Roseburg. Best of anything attracts more attention than a town name.

Sandi Bowman

LindaC June 8, 2009 11:55 PM

Hi Don,

LindaC here.

I agree with Sandi. Best of Roseburg

My Best 2 U,

LindaC

<>------<>

-TW June 9, 2009 12:00 AM

I agree w/ Sandi.

It also avoids the 's' problem -- as in KansasBest. Which would 'sound' awkward when spoken aloud (Kansas-es Best").

The other way has its problems too.

You'll have to also register BestIn[town] BestOf[town] THEbestin[town], and THEbestof[town] -- just to be sure to block off any potential competitors injecting confusion in the marketplace!

-- TW

L.B. Jenkins June 9, 2009 08:02 AM

Neither.

Those domain names are too generic and do not give me the consumer any idea that businesses or their listings are tied to those names. If I'm a consumer looking to buy I would want a resource, where it's name alone, let's me know immediately I'm looking in the right direction.

ShopRoseburg.com (Taken)

RoseburgBusinesses.com (Not Taken)

BestBusinessesOfRoseburg.com (Not Taken)

Adman June 9, 2009 11:28 AM

Thanks for responding.

I should have explained further that I'm going to list one biz in each Category of the Directory and I'd like to use Domains like; RoseburgsBestDentist, RoseburgsBestRoofer, RoseburgsBestPlumber....etc

If I went the other way; BestDentistOfRoseburg, (doesn't sound right) ....should be "BestDentistINRoseburg, BestRooferINRoseburg, BestPlumberINRoseburg...and I'd have to name the Directory, "BestINRoseburg"

So....using "RoseburgsBest___" is only 3 words whereas, "Best_____INRoseburg" is 4.

Now...what do you think?

Which way do you think I should go?

Thanks,
Don Alm

L.B. Jenkins June 10, 2009 08:55 AM

Don,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adman (Post 24757)
Thanks for responding.

I should have explained further that I'm going to list one biz in each Category of the Directory and I'd like to use Domains like; RoseburgsBestDentist, RoseburgsBestRoofer, RoseburgsBestPlumber....etc

If I went the other way; BestDentistOfRoseburg, (doesn't sound right) ....should be "BestDentistINRoseburg, BestRooferINRoseburg, BestPlumberINRoseburg...and I'd have to name the Directory, "BestINRoseburg"

So....using "RoseburgsBest___" is only 3 words whereas, "Best_____INRoseburg" is 4.

Now...what do you think?

Which way do you think I should go?

Thanks,
Don Alm

Since you want to go with the theme of "RoseburgsBest___" and you want to keep it to 3 words, then your directory should be "RoseburgsBestBusinesses.com"

That way you have the theme, "RoseburgsBest___", running through your whole project. If I go to "RoseburgsBestBusinesses.com" and search through your directory then I will see:

RoseburgsBestAccountants.com
RoseburgsBestAntiques.com
RoseburgsBestAttorneys.com
RoseburgsBestMechanics.com
RoseburgsBestDentists.com
RoseburgsBestLandscapers.com
RoseburgsBestExterminators.com

and so on.

Please note that to stay with your 3 word domain format some titles will need to be changed. For example: Instead of "RoseburgsBestAutoRepair.com, you would use RoseburgsBestMechanics.com.

Phil June 10, 2009 02:50 PM

Hi Don,

Not to change your plans in any way... :)

BUT....

I'll toss a little different train of thought and opinion on things...

Google and Many average businesses and consumers these days are Quickly becoming less Trusting on all kinds of particular Overused and Exaggerated words within the English language/dictionary...

They're getting Smarter by the minute as the Good ol' internet Ages increasingly fast...

And can Read through misc. Marketing Hype type messages and Web word communications Extremely well...

There are Many successful Directory business models out there worth researching and investigating...

But one I've mentioned in other posts is Definitely worth checking out and Studying...

Domaining Tip if you just happen to be interested in this sorta business idea...

When they started building their Directories their main Focus was simply Concentrating on the word Businesses...

Simply by just using the Name of the each City along with the word Businesses...

Incorporating endless Categories of all types of Businesses into the swing of things...

Which just happens to still Contain some very available Domaining “Businesses” possibilities & opportunities throughout many Untapped Geo locations world-wide...

Click and Spy to Your Heart's Content... ;) Canada eh?
http://www.texerta.com/

Phil

M.Sturgis June 10, 2009 05:42 PM

Don, I had a similar idea and registared "in(mytown).com, that way i could use add-ons like Dentist.in(mytown).com or even Thebestdangdentist.in(mytown).com
just an idea.
mike

Adman June 11, 2009 02:59 PM

Someone has already set up;

"BestIn.com" sites.

"BestInAtlanta.com"...."BestInMiami.com"...."BestI n____.com"...etc (Hundreds of Domains)

They sell these sites and the person who buys a "Directory" site can then put Categories in the Directory;
"BestDentistInAtlanta.com"..."BestCarpetCleanerInM iami.com"...etc

Don't know how they're doing but, sounds like a good idea to me.

Don Alm